Meike Grip and Batteries for A7II potential problem

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dmward, Apr 10, 2015.

1. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    I got the Meike grip for my A7II from Amazon. It came with two batteries and a charger.
    I was shooting this afternoon, with the two off brand batteries in the grip and got a non-compatible battery warning message.
    I took the grip off, put one of the off brand batteries directly in the camera and it worked fine.
    I did notice that the battery indicator on the LCD only showed one battery even though there were two in the grip, so maybe its the battery.

Anyone else get the combination from Amazon?
  2. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Happens to me also with the sony branded grip and sony branded batteries. So its apparently a grip issue...anyone else??
  3. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    I have the Sony grip and it shows two batteries - typically with a number and percentage beside the one that it is feeding form first.
  4. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
  5. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    David K Fonseca
    Bummer. I had my eye on this grip. Guess I'll wait a bit. Thanks for sharing!
  6. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    Up Date:
    I think my original problem was a balky battery. The battery I identified as being problematic has been through three charging cycles and now seems to be working without a problem. i.e. no more battery incompatibility errors. And Both battery icons show on the LCD with the % remaining showing for number 1. This suggests that the batteries are used sequentially to power the camera.

Both the C1 and C2 buttons work as expected. And with a bit more experience, the shutter button travel is becoming comfortable.

As I said earlier, I don't use a grip that much. Even though it seems I've had them for every camera over the last 4 years. My main reason for using them is making portrait oriented shooting easier with longer lenses.

The link above was from a post dated in March, so may have been related to the older version with the acknowledged problem.

I'm happy with mine now that I've sorted the cause of the initial error message.

I've also noticed that the best way to put the grip on the camera is to press down on the end with the tower that goes into the battery bay. That may also mean that the electrical contacts in the bay are better aligned.
    • Informative Informative x 2