Mei Xiang

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by olli, Mar 1, 2013.

1. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    I never bother with video. The first thing I did when I got the NEX-7 was to disable the video button. Today I was paying one of my regular visits to the pandas at the National Zoo. I had the 55-210 lens on it and it was too dark inside the building for shooting at high enough shutter speeds to get sharp pics so I though to myself 'Why not give this new-fangled video stuff a go?'.

Five minutes later having eventually managed to find the menu item to turn the button back on I shot a little bit of Mei Xiang, the female panda at the zoo, munching on bamboo. I'll never take video seriously but it was quite fun to look at it later and be amazed at what our gadgets can do. (If it's not obvious, it was shot through the thick glass pane that keeps us out or her in).

One of the reasons I don't shoot videos is that I've been subjected to far too many 'baby with food smeared all over its face' type videos in the past and I fully understand that watching a video of a panda eating bamboo may have the same effect on you, but it's just the novelty and it will soon pass. I promise not to clog up the forum with zoo videos. So, without further ado, here she is:

2. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Great video. Always fun to watch panda's, Kung Fu or not.
  3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Olli thanks for sharing !!
    Being totally incompetent at video myself, I think you and your cam did a pretty awesome job (even if the "action" here represented little challenge, maybe). I have nothing against baby-smeared-with-food footage, but I confess I like bamboo-munching-pandas even way more.
    The beauty of this animal is stunning. Yet, it's a full fledged bear, with big badass teeth and razor claws, and I have to admit I would have been grateful fot that thick glass. I don't even understand how they can be vegetarians and have kept such lethal arsenal ...
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Nice video. While I don't often use the video, but it is nice to have.
  6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Heh, I guess the video option does have its uses. ;)
  7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    Simple video, but nice to watch. I also took some video shots with the NEX-6 and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality, it held up very well against the GH2.
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Amazing they can get that big and get all the nutrients they need just eating bamboo.
  9. Peter Chin

Peter Chin TalkEmount Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Peter Chin is my real name.
    keep post zoo videos, i don't mind at all those who don't will just move on...btw what zoo was this at?

pandas will be coming here Toronto Zoo summer now i can tell my nephews i know how pandas eat bamboo :)
  10. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    Thanks Peter. This was taken at the Smithsonian Zoo in Washington DC. I've posted a few more on YouTube. They are charming animals and great fun to watch. One of the nice things about DC is having them nearby (I live about ten minutes from the zoo). I'm sure you'll enjoy having them in Toronto. I might even come up and see them myself some time.
  11. riccardocovino

riccardocovino TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    That's not a problem of the videos, because the same applies to photos.
    It's a matter of people posting things interesting for them but probably overseen on the web. :)
  12. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    No. A photo is a fixed moment. I can glance at it and move on. A video is much harder to avoid watching without causing offence and you're obliged to observe the whole disgusting process. Much much worse.