Megapixel actual vs Advertisement

Xterra

TalkEmount Regular
So here I am with the new A7RIV and happy, however everywhere you read it is 61MP, but when you look at your real image sizes they are 9504x6336 which equals 60.2 MP
So I'd rather say its 60MP not 61. Or am I missing something?
The A7RIII was advertised as a 42MP camera and has 7952x5304 pixels which comes out 42.177 MP.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
It kind of reminds me of what the guys in the Porsche 912 group would say.
912 is one better than 911.

61 does sound a lot better than plain ol' 60.

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
If you read on Sony website the a7Riv specs, it’s written on footnote .3 (for US website ):”Approximate effective pixels”.

So, splitting hair, Sony is advertising it’s “around” 61 mpx.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Regular
Rounding is fine. Rounding up, especially by as much as 0.9? Isn't that going a bit far? I'd have to know what "approximate effective" really means to answer that.

It isn't an answer to say It's a lot, all they need to do is pick a big number.

But, in my limited experience, car engine sizes are also rounded up: I haven't done a research on by how much. And I guess this description passes the criteria of retail protection laws in lots and lots of countries...

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
But, in my limited experience, car engine sizes are also rounded up: I haven't done a research on by how much. And I guess this description passes the criteria of retail protection laws in lots and lots of countries...
Now I feel cheated. My motorcycle has a single-cylinder, 313cc engine. But it’s sold as a 310. o_O

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Kind of thinking out loud here, but I wonder if the on-sensor AF sites have anything to do with it? 912 sites altogether (PD & CD), but I am not sure how many pixels they might account for or even the layout.

But feel free to buy an A7iv to establish legal standing, then launch a class action suit. By the time the lawyers are done, you'll get $8.12 USD toward your next 60MP camera. :cool:

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Regular
It'll be a 600MP camera by the time the case is finished. But you'll still only get $8.12.

Now I feel cheated. My motorcycle has a single-cylinder, 313cc engine. But it’s sold as a 310. o_O
And my car has a 1.6 litre engine, which is actually 1.5-something. So I can never enjoy driving it again!

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Regular
Is it allowed to post jokes on this forum? It's just that this discussion reminds me of this one, seen in the press, reported from the last Edinburgh Festival...

On my way here, some cowboys came up to me in the street and asked if I could give them a hand rounding up twenty-eight cows.

I said I'd be happy to help: that would be thirty cows.

There was no mention of effective number of cows!

Xterra

TalkEmount Regular
You guys don't seem to take it serious enough, hence you're joking and will always be taken to the cleaners by Corporations.
Next example:
In 2001 the Korean manufacturer Hyundai was brought to task over claims they made on 1.4 million vehicles. It seemed they had overestimated the horsepower by 4%.
The company attempted to write it off as a mere miscalculation - just a discrepancy in rounding up.
Consumers didn't buy it.
They formed a class-action suit and took Hyundai to the cleaners -- ultimately, Hyundai settled for $85 million.

Sony could have also advertised the A7RIII as a 43MP as its 42.177 MP but they chose not to.

Such "Puffing up Advertisement" discrepencies may ultimately ruin Sony's reputation.
Truth be told, puffery is a lazy marketing tactic

Last edited:

Xterra

TalkEmount Regular
Truth be told the camera is actually scientifically ONLY 57,42 Megapixels
9504x6336 = 60.217.344‬ pixels
A megapixel (MP) is actually 1,048,576 pixels

Xterra

TalkEmount Regular
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Megapixels hardly matter anymore unless you happen to be making very large prints.
The concept of megapixels itself is a marketing tactic. (And who was the marketing genius who thought of calling 35mm sensors "full frame"? that sounds even bigger than "medium format")
Most people just share imagery on insta, facebook etc, where any image is typically downsampled to about 2 megapixels, and looked at on a phone screen.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom