1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Mefoto Roadtrip or backpacker..is 51" tall enough for environmental portraits?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by shaolin95, Oct 12, 2015.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hello!

So here is my situation. I have a Manfrotto which folds to around 21" (26" with current pistol head) and its not very user friendly being old..kind of hard to setup but the legs are pretty strong I think.
    The problem is..I hardly feel like taking it with me so I can leave at home for my WIP down stairs studio and want to get something a lot more portable for when I go out with my wife like short hikes etc as we usually end up with no photos of us together unless I find any awkward location to place my camera and hope it does not slip.

So I have been considering the MeFoto BackPacker as it folds to just over 12" and should be easier to carry and maybe even attach to my slingshot bag etc.

My main concern is the height. I am not a super tall guy just 5'9 and my wife is around 5'6" but still 51" is rather short for the MeFoto compared to the RoadTrip which does 61".

Then again, is that really important for this particular situation since I am not doing headshots but environmental portraits just to show us on those locations we are visiting?

I am thinking it does not matter much and I can always try to place it at a higher level than we are depending on the place but wanted to get some feedback on it.
    Basically my goal was the tallest tripod to folded size ration I could find under $200 and still hold my camera which will usually just be the Sony A7ii with the FE 55mm, 16-35mm F5 and maybe even the Samyang 135mm F2

Thanks!

2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    For what it's worth I have both the Backpacker and the RoadTrip. I don't think you should have a problem with the Backpacker for environmental self portraits. I have used it many times and I'm 6'2".

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks for the comment! I am really leaning towards that one as I think the smaller size and weight will make me bring it with me more often..and my wife more willing to help carrying it too. :D

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I mostly carry the Backpack for the reasons you point out even though the Road trip is the better tripod.

• Like Like x 1