Meet the Porst Color Reflex 55 F:1.2 (Pentax PK mount)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nianys, Nov 24, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Aye aye fellow legacy glass addicts.

My Pentax PK adapter got here this morning (Fotga brand, cheapo and very nice).
    It allowed me to try the superfast Porst Color Reflex Auto MC 55/1.2 that I had received a few days ago from Germany.

The lens receives mixed reviews on specialized sites like MFlenses.com and such. People seem to love it or hate it, and wild theories go about who designed it (Tomioka ?) who built it (Cosina), etc.

My copy's serial number starts with zero, so unless I'm mistaken it's an early one.

426e2aaf00f116bf09bec7aa46bce2e7_cd6.

Few superfast lenses are very sharp wide open (none ?). Some are sharper. This one is definitely soft at 1.2, so let's move on to F2, or slightly before that, since there is no intermediary stop written on the aperture ring, but it is physically possible to set the ring somewhere between 1.2 and 2, that's what I did for this test.

f64b77536a259d508d72b440a4937555_cd6.

The whole purpose of SuperFasts is to throw backgrounds out of focus in an elegant and pleasurable way. I think the Porst does that very well.

Someone wrote in one of the board discussions I read while I was researching it prior to buying, that it's a difficult lens to shoot. I totally concur. Even with my daily practice of wide open (or very close buy) sharp prime shooting, DOF is so incredibly razor thin on this lens you're in for a lot of not critically focused shot if you're trying to nail a 4 yr old. OTOH, I'm sure a studio fashion shooter stopping it down to 4 would be all over this lens. It has some very nice qualities.

9f684417ba65cc3fd78389cff5a6facc_cd6.

It's a well built, classy looking and exotic by its rarity piece of glass. It handles very nicely. It's very compact for a SuperFast. It renders lovely mushy melted backgrounds with blissful light rounds in almost perfect circles.

6ccfc6fc56e3249495593c2a836b1da7_a93.

The above shots have been tinkered with a bit in PS. Slight boost in contrast, and selective sharpness. If one doesn't mind spending just a little time in front of the computer, that's a very fine lens. I think it is particularly well suited for portraits, weddings, newborns, and fashion. So personally I neither love nor hate it, I recognize its use, and despite its softness at wide apertures, I feel drawn to it and want to use it.

Any comment or further questions welcome !

2. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I think that is the most s*** hot so far, it appears to render beautiful skin tones (though im sure youre little girl has fabulous skin anyway) lovely sharpness and fab bokeh. I really really like! The first is my fave.

3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    +1

I really like the "Spaghetti Trail" photo...

4. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I listed the lens last night (with a small profit) and it sold like hot cakes (I would have sold three, had I had them).

I'm a little regretting it already. it's pretty special. The colors and contrast are the best I've seen yet. But it's hard to focus, yes it is, and not as sharp as I wanted it to be. But dang, it was nice.

ddb7a865b79c7185b7fae2bfcf4c6e42_8e8.

5. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    These are stunning! Sharpness is overrated in my view, the character of this lens looks great for portraits. I'm going to keep my eyes open for one anyway :)

6. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Be relaly careful with prices. This lens usually retails for between 275 and 320€ if you go for the BuyItNow prices on eBay, which in my opinion is downright ridiculous, and good luck reselling it if you get a less than stellar copy...Much better to wait for a real auction, they do fetch very high this form. I've done a bit of research, it seems the M42 mounts are better than the PK ones (I had a PK), and that those with MC on the barrel are also better (mine did have it). It's supposed to have been designed by Tomioka and maybe made by them in the beginning (M42 units ?) but then production was passed over to Cosina (the Cosina branded lenses still being made by... Tomioka. Go figure !). It's a very nice lens to have in a portraitist's arsenal, but I really don't think it's worth the price, or even more, of a FL 55/1.2 which is way sharper at all apertures.
    I do feel sorta bad selling mine that quick though, but I did make a small margin on it, and I will most likely rebuy a 1.4 version, which can be found in m42 mount more easily, and is much cheaper :)

7. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Thanks, they look pricey here in the UK too. I will refine my search!

8. donamor

donamor New to TalkEmount

Apr 16, 2013
    Ucm

Hello, I'm glad to read some good information on these lenses. I have a particular one and am unsure about the mount. I keep reading that the only way to use it is to modify the lens- replacing the mounting part and shaving some part of the lens.. but then I see other people use it just fine with an adapter. My lens is exactly this: Porst Color Reflex 1:1.2/50mm UMC 55 (oslashed symbol) X-M G
    I read that it is a bayonet porst_fuly x m mount_X_Fujinon12. IMAG1768. ? may i ask if you know what i may need.. is this K mount? or M42s you mention? Thank you in advance and for sharing your images. I tested the lens just holding it up to the camera and it worked great. :) the front image attached is one i found online but the back is mine.

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It is not m42 mount, which is a screw mount. The one you have is a bayonet mount, but from the angle you shot it I can't tell which one. The easiest way to find out is to tke it to a camera store and compare it to other lenses until you find a match. Or, you could take a pic of the lens from the back so we can see the entire base of the lens & maybe we can figure it out for you.

And welcome to the forum BTW. :)

10. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Her lens is 55mm K mount and your lens is 50mm. According to the link below, it looks like your lens is Fuji X-Bayonet mount:
    FS: 1:1.2/50mm UMC X-M G Porst / Fuji

They have sample shots over there with nex so you should find a right adapter.

11. donamor

Apr 16, 2013
    lens picture

Thank you Bimjo. I know that for the NEX adapters exist. That would be next but i want to use it with my canon 7d. This is another reason why i don't want to modify it if possible. does this new picture help? sorry for bad quality before..was just with my phone. (my new phone arrives soon ) ;) lens.

12. donamor

Apr 16, 2013
    thank you - I checked out that thread before.. still not sure if i have the exact same one.. they have instructions on there on how to modify the lens but not 100% clear.. and i was hoping to find an adapter without modification. maybe that's what i need to do. i guess i will start when i'm sure of mount. on that thread they direct you to buy a specific mount and replace the one on the lens. I may indeed need to wait to find the right NEX camera to use this lens with. right now i wnated to use it on my 7D. but here is few places i saw something similar to the lens.

13. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    When I saw the price in that link, I was very surprised how cheap it was. Then I saw why it is, as it cannot be used directly on dslr's without converting the mount. I think your second photo matches to the fuji bayonet lens in the link. All of my manual dslr lenses (m42, om, c/y, nikon) have ef adapters from dslr days, so nex-ef adapter makes it easy to use. However multiple adapters adds the manufacturing errors from each of them...

14. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    i would agree, its Fuji X mount. it says on the front; x-m.

15. apotelyt

apotelyt TalkEmount Regular

Jul 8, 2012
  16. Suha

Suha New to TalkEmount

Sep 12, 2013
    Your Girl :)
    f64b77536a259d508d72b440a4937555_cd6.

My Girl :)
    8830903168_86e2f2b052_c.

17. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Welcome to Talknex. I like your shots...

18. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Wonderful serhan, this lens sure seems to like pretty girls ;)
    I still regret my Porst by the way !

19. Suha

Suha New to TalkEmount

Sep 12, 2013
    I was looking for documentation on this lens. I see nianys girl photo :) I was surprised :) my daughter is very similar to :p

Ps: sory my poor english :)

20. Suha

Suha New to TalkEmount

Sep 12, 2013
    nianys: how old your girl ? :)