1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Me, a landcape thread ? I must be ill !?!

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by nianys, Jan 21, 2013.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Well, indeed, I've been sick as a dog the past three days. Not sick as "my dog", heh, he's doing just fine ;)

e48a77371d8172d2a388191c9a14d500_572.jpg
    Don't buy the teary puppy look, he's actually enjoying a great nap...

It's been snowing heavily for the past three days, and our usual walking path was deep in snow, which would have made for great pictures opportunities with the most tiny weenie bit of sun but.... No dice. The sky remained stubbornly withish grey, low, and loaded with more snow to come. I decided to bring the camera along anyway, the puppy now being manageable enough that I don't have to worry and fuss about him full time.

First attempt with the kit zoom (18-55)

8f0327e424077e615b2aeecc01412f53_63d.jpg
    Hmm, not overwhelmed with that... Looks a bit mushy and unclear to me.

So since the zoom wasn't inspiring so much, I went back today packing a manual focus lens, since I've been using those on NEX from day one. While there's nothing to write home about, it does give me a more faithful image of how I felt while there.

9f7ab29d2ad557f4fd5accbbb18f459e_ed5.jpg

0f6197b7e668b30ab7431df8b520f118_ed5.jpg
    Stretches of snowy land tend to make me feel uneasy. Slightly claustrophobic. All this air packed very still. And not a sound. I hate snow.

25597e707c0b9cce4b64124f4571cf86_ed5.jpg
    I kept going nonetheless, my puppy had fogotten he's a single coated dog that can't handle the cold that well, and was having a good time.

dec0e3c33b4f7ed10b9c6027c4e1e818_3a9.jpg
    Then I reached that overhead highway bridge that always just awes me. The thing is humongous, took a couple of years to get together, and I fine its line very, very appealing.
    Because of the curvy shape there are a lot of different interesting angles to shoot if from, and I keep on experimenting.

d9471a11ada5d06bba9340661d502ee1_ed5.jpg
    A couple of secondary roads ramp up to the main bridge. This road sign has had a life accident obviously that someone decided to make fun of. I like it. Sort of like a friendly Blair Witch like sight.

Just for the record, let it be known that there are exception to my snow aversion. For instance, Finland :
    7c9c6e3afe5643da799763a0351ce675_210.jpg
    Finland is perfectly fine, beautiful and welcoming under tons of snow !

But still, I'll always like my riverside in kinder weather conditions, when it's all warm and hazy and seems stuck in childhood perfection, like this
    7acc43028f23f00fd1447dd742095fa1_6db.jpg

So that's what a severe cold does to me, go all feverish and outta my mind and posting landscape shots. Go figure...

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Beautiful work Claire!!!
    The highway bridge is also my favourite, as is the last shot with your daughter (?) driving her bicycle in the path ;)

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Beautiful! I think I wouldn't be alone in saying that we'd all benefit if you got over your aversion to snow, not to mention your kit lens! That barge shot reminds me of an Alfred Sisley painting.

Almost forgot: Get well soon!

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ok, who are you and what have you done with Claire? LOL

Very nice, especially the curvy bridge. :)

5. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Nick stole the words right out of my mouth!

6. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    what have you done Claire,
    that dog and it's beautiful coat, must be in colour at all times

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Sometimes I wish we had snow here...:(
    (rare sight for me where I live)

8. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Nice set, and thanks for sharing. You should do landscape more often. I also agree that the legacy shot has a bit more depth/feel than the kit lens, based on shots #2 and 3.

9. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Ah, thank you, that's a big compliment :)
    I'm Nexless as of today, and the X10 I'm supposed to buy has issues shipping (not camera related). So making due with an old S90 for now, and churning my brains to decide what to do next (though rather set on the X-E1)...

10. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Well, technically you're not exactly Nexless. You can always have a tutu with your hubby's 5N when he's not looking! :eek:

11. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Hmm, I don't know how/when I gave the false impression that my hubby had a 5N ?? I'm the camera geek in the family, my hubby just made me swear I'd never sell the old S90 he dropped on concrete two years ago, lol.

12. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    When you posted this... (maybe because the meaning of "picked-up" implies buying something in my culture).

Ooops my bad, lol :)

13. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    oh my god,Claire, the x10 seems to be everything you never wanted in a camera :p

14. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    You're nexless??! By design?

15. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Yep NEXless indeed !
    I admit my head is a bit of a mess now. I want an X-E1, but obviously it won't solve my AF woes !
    There's a glitch with the X10 shipment, which hopefully, should be solved tomorrow (fingers crossed !!).
    Well gio, in fact I think the X10 should be very cool as a carry-everywhere camera. Not planning to make it my main portrait tool, of course ;)

16. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    Ah!! but of course not.
    enjoy your camera when it arrives

17. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Wow. I've been looking at the x10 or nikon v1 for a carry everywhere. Prices are pretty good right now. I ordered a k01, but after trying it out (disliked soooo much) realised how much Sony does well (subjective, of course) Fuji is the only other player; interested in your experiences with it when you get one :)

18. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Well if only it gets here !! I was cajoled into paying by money order, and now the seller (that I know for a fact is honest, he's a well reknown photog and gallery manager whom I talked with on the phone at length) has trouble cashing the order as a cranky Post officer made a personal case of giving him hell. Go figure... Anyway he's going back to the Post office tomorrow to sort this out, possibly with a manager, and he said he WILL ship the camera regardless of being able to get the cash or not, since he knows I have no responsability for the glitch encountered. So in all logic the camera should be in my hands on Friday. However, I'll wait for confimartion that it actually shipped tomorrow to be halfway relieved about it.

19. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Should we get Amin to change her screen name to "Ms. Fickle"? :p

I kid. :D :cool:

20. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Yeah, yeah, well deserved indeed ;)

I don't mind. I admit to being an incorrigible curious. It's ok, as I do NOT switch cameras thinking it'll make me take better pictures. Not a split second. And I'm not of those gearheads who talk technical aspects till they're blue in the face but never take a pic, and couldn't if they wanted to. I average 1K shots/month, and I do share a lot of them. But yes, finicky I am !!