1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MD 35-70 Macro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by izTheViz, Mar 15, 2014.

1. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Guys,

Just trying to escape a little bit from FD glasses. Read a lot of great things regarding this lens.
    Especially Phillip Reeve on his blog, posted some great shots taken with his A7 and this MD.
    Found one in mint condition for 50€ and got it yesterday. Looks like an awsome lens.
    Will order and adapter today and hope I'll be able to test the lens next week.
    Any owner of this MD so far ? Shots to share ?

Thanks

Yannis

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Sorry, I don't archive shots by lenses but that lens is really nice one. Besides it is cheap and makes nice travel package with Sigma 19mm and a longer zoom (maybe Kiron 70-150/3.8).

3. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    Loved this lens to death. It had a great center sharpness and the corners were great at around f/5.6. Colors never disappointed. You'll love it as soon as you mount it. Didn't like using zooms anymore so I sold mine. Regretted it as soon as I did so hold on to that lens dearly.

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    While it's an excellent zoom lens I must say I don't use it these days, mostly because I do landscapes and for that I prefer primes.

Test shots on A7
    Test shots on NEX-6 and GH2 (click on the i button below the picture to see what's what)

• Like Like x 1
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Wow, great price

6. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    • Like Like x 3
  8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  9. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Guys,

Thanks for your replies. Great flowers shots, really...
    I usually switch beetween 24-35 and 50 but missed something between 50 and 100 and also a macro lens.
    I am pretty sure I'll love it.
    Anyone with the 17/4 ? Seems to be rare.

• Like Like x 1
  10. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yep, I have one :). It's not exactly rare, on eBay there are 5 of them for sale with prices ranging between € 399 and € 576 :eek_old:. Looking for what's actually been sold in the past, there has been sold one in the US for $425. One is for sale on a Dutch auction site; asking price € 449 and highest bid was € 210, which the seller apparently didn't accept. I wouldn't recommend a legacy 17mm for an APS-C camera for those prices, with some extra saving up you can buy the native SEL-1018 which offers a real wide-angle zoom range, is optically better, lighter, sports AF and OSS and gets it data into the EXIF. On FF the Minolta 17/4 is a nice lens, adequately sharp across almost all of the frame at f/8; see my entry in the sample archive.

• Like Like x 2
  11. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    It would be used on A7. Just missed and FD 17/4 for 180€ recently. The FD seems to be cheaper than the MD

12. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I really like the MD 35-70 Macro. The handling is a little tricky on a Nex 5R, it's a heavy lens and you have to worry about twisting for zoom vs twisting for focus.

When you flip it over to macro the bokeh is just insane. You can get some really surreal shots.

I like it better at 50 - 70 (I use a speed booster but it would be the same on an A7) because at 35mm it distorts quite badly.

13. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Received the ring this morning and couldn't wait to test the lens. Well, a bit disappointed I must admit.
    As jai said, at 35 it is almost unusable the image is heavily distorted, which doesn't look that obvious on addieleman's test with his A7.
    Appears somehow to have a better behavior at 35 on APS-C. Will try it on my 5N. But honestly I am surprised to get that much distortion on a so called Leica like lens.
    People seems to use it more for the 50-70 range. Quite limited actually. Should keep it for macro and details works.
    Will continue some testing anyway but for sure the 35 range is out unless someone has a LR profile for it ?
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  14. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    My test shots weren't very suitable to see the amount of distortion. Just did a quick shot with it on the A7 set to 35mm. Yep, distorts like there's no tomorrow. Maybe I'll make a LR profile someday though I won't hurry. The focal length of the lens doesn't get into the EXIF all by itself and I'm not going to write that down in the field; it's difficult enough to remember what lens I used, let alone the focal length :).

i-cZsv9jp-XL.
    A7, Minolta MD Zoom 35-70mm 1:3.5 @ 35mm and f/5.6

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  16. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Beautiful shot! How did you shoot that, if you don't mind me asking?

35mm at F8?

17. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Yep, 35 at f8 you're right.
    Put the camera on a guardrail, iso 100, 2 sec.
    Happy with the result !

• Like Like x 1