1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

MC Rokkor 24/2.8 SI

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Oct 22, 2014.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I have had the hardest time learning to like this lens but I keep plugging at it.

14977635073_5393a36783_h.

Fallen Sun
    by dixeyk, on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Are you using it on APSC or full frame?

I had the MD version, and didn't really like it either despite it being one of priciest lenses I picked up.

At least not until I started using it with a speed booster, and with my Minolta film cameras. It makes a lot more sense when you have the full frame field of view.

3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    APS-C...I use it on my 5n and it's been frustrating. I had a Hexanon 24/2.8 that I liked quite a bit and I sold it because when I did a side by side the Minolta was sharper, had better color and better bokeh but I find I really don't reach for it much. The differences were admittedly pretty small but I figured one is as good as the other so I kept the Minolta because most of my other lenses are Minolta (and I really like them) or MD mount so I figured I'd streamline things. Turns out I miss the Hex 24 and wish I still had it. I used to think it was because I never much liked the 35mm FOV when I shot film but I use my Vivitar 28/2 close focus all the time. Of course on APS-C the difference in FOV between 24 and 28 is more significant that it would be on FF. It's a puzzler.

4. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Beautiful shot! I know what its like ending up with a lens you are not sure about. I got the Samyang 12mm 2.0 for my birthday, don't think I was ready for how wide it is lol.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Well, quite often part of the charm of a lens is it's flaws.

But maybe the Rokkor not the right lens for what you want to do with it. I think the kind of photo it was designed for are things like this:

14050541896_f90d296258_b. DSC01619 by Jai Sbr, on Flickr

Your flickr seems to suggest you prefer more intimate close ups. Maybe look at selling it and getting the MD 35-70mm Macro.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looking good guys.

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That's a beautiful photo Kevin!

• Like Like x 1
  8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    That is definitely part of the problem, Funny you should mention it, I have the MD 35-70/3.5 macro and I love it. It is far and away my favorite lens. That and the Vivitar 28/2 close focus (which is my second most used lens) allow me to work in close like I prefer so they get the bulk of the use. When I shot film I never cared for that 35mm FOV. It always felt like it was neither fish nor fowl. I have a good friend that loves that prefers it. Someday I'll get a FF camera and the 24mm will be nice to have.

Nice shot BTW. Where is it?

Attached Files:

9. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    That is Melbourne, taken from the rooftop of a bar called "Naked for Satan".

I agree, I think 35mm on full frame can be a bit boring at times? I prefer equivalent focal lengths of 24-28mm and 50-85mm.

10. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Now that's a bar name

• Like Like x 1
  11. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    15613336645_448369ea20_h.

Barrow
    by dixeyk, on Flickr

14991448854_1f12181aef_h.

Workhorse
    by dixeyk, on Flickr

So I've committed to using the 24/2.8 just to see if I can get comfortable with it and I have to say that it is starting to grow on me. There are some things I really like such as the weight and feel of the lens. It also peaks pretty well and once I stopped expecting it to be like my Vivitar 28/2 close focus and just accepted what it could and couldn't do I found myself kinda liking it...sorta.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Really like that 2nd one. I think this lens is really nice for B&W

• Like Like x 1
  13. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    It really does seem to be well suited to B&W.