1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MC protector. Worth trying?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Jan 17, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I am browsing the officilan nex-f3 accessories guide and I stumbled upon the MC protector.
    It says that this protect lenses from scratches. I guess this protection can be applied when the camera is working. Right_?

There are three listed models
    VF-49MPAM
    VF-62MPAM
    VF-67MPAM

but I d oo not understand how they are used.

2. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    They are basically just UV filters that you fit to your lens and leve there, they protect the lens glass from scratching and are cheap and easy to replace. I wouldn't buy these ones though as you can get UV filters much cheaper than that, you can get a 49mm Hoya UV filter for around $15-$20 Australian on eBay I use one on each of my lenses as do many people.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Uv filter means? Ultra violet? I was thinking to buy one to protect my default 1855lense. Which is the right size?

Alex

4. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    49mm will fit the 1855, 16f28, 55210 kit lenses you would want to go for the slim frame versions for the smaller lenses.

on the front of the lens there will be a circle with a line through it and a number next to it this specifies the filter size for the lens.

5. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I prefer not to use a uv filter on any of my lenses - I do a lot of low light and night stuff and they can cause flare. The hood offers enough protection against knocks. Only time I use them is if by the sea/water if there is a lot of water spray or somewhere dusty. Personal choice wether to use one or not but I prefer my lens naked. :)

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Still, if they are just "protectors"
    why still called UV filters?

Regards
    Alex

7. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    you can also get a 1a skylight filter

8. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    UV filter filter's out ultra-violet rays. We can't see what UV rays look like but I do know they cause sunburn and disintegrates unstabilized plastic outdoors. If there's no UV content in the atmosphere then it's just clear glass protecting your lens. This filter is particularly useful when you're taking scenics with a lot of haze at the background or sky/horizon. More guff about UV radiation and how it relates to photography here:
    HowStuffWorks "How UV Filters for Cameras Work"

Skylight 1A filters can also be used as a lens protector. However, these introduce a slight pinkish tinge which can enhance skin tone when taking portraits. It's particularly useful in dreary overcast days where photos would look cold. Careful with this though as in warm sunny environments the pink cast can overdo the effect. This filter is more effective back in the days of film. With today's cameras having auto white-balance, the influence of a 1A filter is practically nullified.

Although lens filters do protect the lens from scratches and smudges (better to keep wiping/cleaning the filter rather than the lens element itself), they can also sometimes cause flare and reflective problems especially during night time photography with street or stage lights.

9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks. Is there something with the quality? I can find those on ebay or in amazon from 3 euros to 50!!... Which price range I should go for? I would like this one to be of decent quality.

Alex

10. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Avoid the cheap Chinese stuff on this one... mid price to upper is best with multi-coating (made in Japan). Remember that the SEL lenses have 49mm threads on them, which is a really small diameter - so try to get the ones with 'slim-rims' otherwise a thick (or normal) filter's metal rim protrusion might cause some vignetting on the wide-end of your zoom (or the SEL16).

11. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
  12. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
  13. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
  14. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Hoya are fine for filters.

15. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    +1

16. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    +2 ... Even their cheaper range are still good for the money :)

17. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    All my UV filters are Hoya never had a problem with them and I have maybe 8 lenses all with UV,s