Mc-11 on A7... Help

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Christop82, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Christop82

Christop82 TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 24, 2017
    Just bought an mc-11 for my A7. I've tried the Canon ef 50 1.4 and ef 50 1.8 stm. Both are extremely slow and inaccurate. Does this combination not work?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Someone here may correct me about this, but I believe the MC-11, and other, similar AF-enabled adapters only work with PDAF-enabled Sony cameras, but not on the original A7 and A7R. So you'd have to have an A7II or newer camera to take full advantage of your MC-11.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Christop82

Aug 24, 2017
    That would make sense. Thanks for your help.

4. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    The adapter works with both contrast and pdaf but pdaf is significantly faster. Saying this, I also have an mc-11 and it is relatively slow with my Canon 100-400, but also keep in mind this adapter is specifically designed for Sigma brand EF lenses, so it doesn't guarantee that Canon lenses will work

5. Christop82

Aug 24, 2017
    I understood that before I purchased it. I read many reviews of people claiming it worked well with their Canon lenses. I guess I'll have to buy the metabones, or a native.

6. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Or a new camera body? ;)

I agree with the other comments as I had a similar experience with the Techart/DEO TA-GA3 adapter for Contax G glass. I used it for a while with an A6000. It did kind of work, but was slow, glitchy and would occasionally cause the camera to freeze up. When I bought my A7ii, it was like night and day. It works almost as well as the Techart Pro, though much noisier.

7. Christop82

Aug 24, 2017
    Maybe a better idea. I bought the A7 to try FF but I'm struggling to find affordable glass, so I bought an adapter.
    Will this adapter work well with the A7 II?

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I can't speak to that adapter, but like Bob, when I upgraded to the A7II from my original A7, the Techart adapter for my Contax G lens went from pathetic to almost brilliant. I would expect a similar improvement with your MC-11.

9. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    I have the MC-11 but on the A7Rii body. Works well with Sigma Art lenses (Canon mount), and also the few Canon lenses that I've tried - Canon 70-200/2.8 non IS, Canon 50 STM and Canon 40 STM.

10. Christop82

Aug 24, 2017
    Thanks for the information.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    FE 28mm f/2, FE 50mm f/1.8, FE 85mm f/1.8, Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Samyang/Rokinon AF 35mm f/2.8...???

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  12. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Also, if you don't mind manual focus and aperture rings, there are a lot of older lenses that work nicely with very cheap adapters, and are themselves very inexpensive. (Some old glass is quite expensive, though.) Opinions vary among those here as to which lenses are best bang-for-buck with acceptable IQ, as you might expect. And of course it depends on what you like and your subject matter.

Look through Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase for sample pics.

13. Christop82

Aug 24, 2017
    Those are reasonable options. My original plan was to use EF lenses so I could also use them on my E-M10II. The metabones works great with the 50 1.8 stm. I'm leaning towards upgrading to the A7II so I can use the sigma. The FE 85mm would make a great portrait lens, but I can buy an EF 85 1.8 for around $200 used.

14. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Ontario
    sam_men
    My partner at work bought the MC11 for his A72, and uses it with his Canon glass. Some of the older glass has some issues, being slow to focus, but it works. No issues with his newer Canon glass, both L and STM.
    Only the old Canon 85mm continues to plague him.
    He like the L lenses, which the 85mm is.

• Informative Informative x 1