1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

May Full Moon

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by roundball, May 5, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I’ve definitively become a believer in the comments that a Full Moon is the most difficult variation to the get the best image results of…have really struggled with trying to get a decent shot of the current May 2015 Full Moon. By contrast the achievable details in almost any of the other major variations (quarter, half, etc) are usually very clear & sharp.

At any rate, the 3 variations of the same photo below are apparently the best I’m going to get this time around...and was wondering...if you had to rank / pick one of them, I'd appreciate feedback on what order you’d rank them in. (A, B, C, etc).

PHOTO – A
    PHOTO – BPHOTO – C

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Personally I find myself more attracted on B&W moon shots but if I had to rank the above, then my choice would be #2 (I like that the most), then #3 and lastly #1 :)

3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I vote #2/B as well.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    #1 for me.

5. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    B for me.

A is too dark and C doesn't have the same sharpness as the other 2 versions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    A for me. Looks more natural to my eyes I guess. Not so harsh. Great job! I am not even attempting the full moon. I can't get a good picture at all.

7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Roundball,

What's interesting personally is the color cast you're getting in those samples? Are they early evening moonrise? That's the only time I recall amber coloring. But I get poor results due to the heatwave distortion and don't try anymore, here in the desert.
    Or are you selectively boosting this tone?

Agree, Full Moon is the least satisfying due to the lost of 3D detail due the angle of light.

Stormy weather all weekend long cut into capturing time. Only got off a few before rain came.

Here's what resulted from my Tamron 55BB mirror. Only contrast and a bit of sharpening.
    Hope you don't mind me posting it here in your thread. Your Canon is simply excellent.

17189867480_b9728d344b_o. DSC01039a_Tamron SP 500 f8 55BB by wNG555, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  8. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    LOL...afraid that's above my pay grade.
    I set my alarm for 2:30am and shot this at 2:58am as the moon was on a down slope towards the horizon in the western sky.

PS: I also have the NEX-7 set on VIVID...maybe that contributes to it.

9. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Fascinating! I like B as well. I do think the b&w is the way to go. I could look at the moon for hours lol

• Agree Agree x 1