• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Matching Cameras

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
I like the ability to set up my Sony mirrorless cameras in just about any way I wish...

I shoot with both the Sony A7iii and with the A6400 and A6600 and I like to have these cameras set up as similar as possible because muscle memory makes it easier to adjust parameters when the controls are the same or similar. Exact duplication of controls is impossible because the A7iii has a front dial and a top dial. while the APSC cameras only have the top dial. Secondary adjustments are done with the large back dial.
I have set up both the A7iii and the APSC cameras so that the top dial adjusts the aperture. Since I shoot in Aperture Priority most often, these are the dials I will use regularly and adjusting the aperture is in approximately the same location for all the cameras.. Then I have the front dial of the A7iii and the large back dials of the APSC cameras set up for shutter speed. If I were shooting in Shutter Priority most often, I would have the cameras set up in reverse.

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
<<Exact duplication of controls is impossible because the A7iii has a front dial and a top dial. while the APSC cameras only have the top dial. Secondary adjustments are done with the large back dial.>>

That's my biggest gripe with the A6xxx bodies - no front dial. I like to set the top dial to EV Compensation. That means having to use the spinning dial to set aperture.

One day I hope Sony makes a crop frame camera like the Leica CL

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
I have EV compensation saved to one of the Fn Menu slots. It is quite fast to use, "almost" but, not quite as fast as having a dedicated button on top of the camera....

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
It's funny, on my A7ii there is a dedicated exposure compensation dial. But I wish it was not there. I do not use it often, and find myself accidentally changing it on a regular basis. Drives me nuts.

• Agree
Reactions: WNG

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
It's funny, on my A7ii there is a dedicated exposure compensation dial. But I wish it was not there. I do not use it often, and find myself accidentally changing it on a regular basis. Drives me nuts.

I've ran into this issue often, especially after switching between it and the APS-C body. Since I shoot mostly manual lenses these days....I prefer to assign shutter speed the the top dials of both. But the a6000's top dial is where the exposure comp dial is situated on the A7x's.
I mostly prefer to shoot in ISO 100 so the EV dial isn't useful. It should be made customize-able. Fortunately I guess, it's disabled in manual ISO mode.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
I can live with the abbreviated control systems of the APSC cameras since these cameras are really a saving weight and size over, say Canon APSC cameras... As an example: the Canon APSC 7D Mark ii (which was Canon's top line APSC body) weighs in at 32.10 oz or 910 grams with battery, while the Sony A6400 and A6600 weigh 403 and 503 grams respectively. Add the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens to the 7D2 and the total weight is about: 55 ounces or 1555 grams but the A6600 with the Sony 17-55mm f/2.8 G lens would weigh a total of about 35 ounces or about 1000 grams... That is only 2/3 the weight of the comparable Canon combination...

• Agree

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
Yes, but...the Leica CL body (with two dials) also weighs around 403 g with battery.

C'mon Sony!

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
What I'd really like to see is a full-frame sensor in a rangefinder/Leica/A6000 size body. I am not the only one, but I doubt it will ever see the light of day.

• Agree

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
I have no problems with the IQ of my APSC cameras (I shoot with both APSC and full frame A7iii).

The Leica CL certainly seems to have wonderful ergonomics. However I'll stick with the Eye AF and Animal Eye AF or my Sony cameras... BTW: the cost of my pair of A6400 and A6600 cameras was less than the price of a single Leica CL. I love the pair of cameras with two prime lenses...

Latest threads

Top Bottom