Market divergence between smaller mirror less NEX size and megaSLRs like new Canon

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lapdog99, Oct 18, 2011.

1. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Different tools and investment criteria here, but like many people, I noticed a big increase in which camera I used
    after getting an LX3, than LX5, then NEX-5N (returned for NEX-7 after the click issue). Especially after becoming
    more confident in the smaller cameras. Still need the big tele on occasion, BUT...
  2. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    I don't know that I would call it "market divergence" so much as market change. The mirrorless systems are just getting going and will get a lot cleverer yet,...equally, the black plastic DSLR has probably had it's day for general photography. The new Canon is hardly likely to interest the same type of user as NEX,..not yet anyway. The Canon is the same old pro 'doorstop' thing that Canon have made for years, however, it's VERY expensive, very heavy, very clumsy, very black, very intrusive and intimidating, and, for many serious photographers, very outmoded. There will always be sports/nature/aviation photographers who need such a machine but for general photography it's probable redundant now.
  3. adanac

adanac TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Perhaps shift is a good word to describe what is going on.
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    The new Canon is full frame.
    The better comparison would be against an APS DSLR....