1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Manual Shooting with Adapted Lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Roscoe, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Roscoe

Roscoe TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Maybe I missed something, but it seems as though when you set the lens info into the camera (A7II) it uses the focal length (MM) for the IBIS, but doesn't pass this along to the recorded image as part of the EXIF. Is this right? If so, I'm a little disappointed. I'm figuring I just missed something... but huh? Please advise. Thanks!

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, that's right. Unless it's a modern manual lens like the Zeiss Loxia line of lenses, there's no data connection between the lens and camera. So, there's no EXIF data about the lens, even if you specify the focal length in the IBIS settings.

It does make some sense. After all, I may not bother to reset the IBIS settings when changing lenses, and I wouldn't want a whole batch of images tagged with the wrong focal length.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Good point, never thought of that. I refined my feature request on the Sony Community: only include IBIS focal length when IBIS is switched on.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  4. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Well... there are EXIF editors out there, but by the time you'd go there, I'd have likely forgotten which lens was used.
    Fuji would pass the Focal Lenght data through if you set it manually. And you're right, it'd pass it through even if you forgot to change it. So it could be wrong, and on many of my shots with adapted lenses it is indeed wrong.
    Switching to Sony, I put the IBIS lens length button on C3 to make this easy... expected the same and was delighted to find a way to outsmart the problem. Ah... but now Sony has outsmarted me! Guess that wasn't hard, huh?

Thanks! Wish it were an option to tag the lens or not. Learn to do it and it's like manual focusing.... not hard at all.

5. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Ad: Not sure it posted, but I followed up with a mod to your modified good idea:

I wish to modify Mr. addieleman's request:

I would like for the focal length set in Steadyshot manually for manual adapted lenses to optionally be passed and stored as part of the image EXIF - as a user option. This means that when the user would set the focal length, the user would subsequently be prompted:

"Use this focal length in EXIF?" with "Yes" and "No" as the options and default set to "Yes".

This would allow the passing of the lens focal length through as part of EXIF - if the user sets it to "YES", but leaves that information unassigned if the user selects "NO". This addresses the issue for both sorts of users.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    You can always use your phone to write focal length & aperture on. Then shoot the phone at the beginning/end of a run of pics. Takes a little time, but it works pretty well. At least if you're like, me and tend to shoot at the best MTF aperture for the lens and seldom change it. And yes, I do most of my work from a tripod. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Jim: Not a bad suggestion. I've tried to get myself to do that with a pen and paper in a phone-size notebook, but it hasn't worked. Phone's a better idea. Thanks!
    But what do you do with it then? Just keep the data in a notebook? or assign it to the photo in post somehow?

8. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I use my phone too to make notes in the field or dictate and I add the metadata to the raw files by a metadata editor. For simple work Exif Editor on the Mac is sufficient, if I have a lot to process I often fire up Windows and use the paid version of Picmeta's Picture Information Editor. I must say I find this quite a chore so I usually avoid legacy glass when I'm outdoors.

9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    One of the best suggestions, in another thread, was to remember to take a snapshot of the manual lens right before you install it. I also create a new folder every time I pop on a different lens. So, the first shot will be of the lens. Of course this only works if there's a lens on the body with the MFD to allow this. ;)

10. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Been there. And indeed, doesn't work if you have a 100mm on the body, my arms aren't 1m long :). Life's too short, I went native.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    The way I solved this dilemma for me is to own only one legacy lens. That way, no EXIF data means that the shot was taken with it. Easy! :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Are you then able to switch the recording of subsequent images to that folder? There'd be some merit to this as a solution - especially if it's easy. But then it sounds harder than having EXIF optionally recorded from the designation set in the SteadyShot lens length. I should probably look into this as a stop gap, but all our work-arounds tend to make changing lenses a royal pain.

13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I've simply never cared enough to note the EXIF data for manual lenses.

I know for some classes this is important, but it just never seemed necessary to me.

14. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I shoot predominantly these days with manual lenses, and if I'm comparing a bagful of primes of similar focal lengths, this method requires the least effort to keep track.
    I leave the menu screen at New Folder. So whenever I press 'Menu', it pops up and it's one extra button push to create it. Tap of the shutter button returns to shooting mode.
    If you're asking if one can select a previous folder to write files into.....No that isn't possible presently. Each lens swap is a new folder.
    This method is used because there is no option to write to EXIF at the moment.

15. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yep, that works, did the same some time ago.
    I want to add the EXIF data to the raw files because I use lens profiles in Lightroom to automatically correct for geometric distortion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It does if you prop the phone on your feet like a penguin egg and shoot it that way. :dance3:

17. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    The pic with the data is with your other pics. Then you use a exif editor as Ad stated. Whatever way you do it, you have to edit exif to jave the data with the pic. :)

18. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Hmm, not so sure if that's such a good idea, phone can't swim. :shakehead:
    i-wvbxNd3-XL.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

Which I totally get, I personally never get that detailed.

20. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    I just keep separate labeled sd cards for my manual lenses. Then I change the exif when I import the card into lightroom. I just have to remember to change the card when I change the lens.