Manual Focus Madness!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by JonathanF2, Mar 1, 2016.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I think I've gone mad shooting old manual focus lenses! MF is a real pain because it forces me to think, engage my camera, conceptualize my composition and pre-time the shot to make sure it's in focus. Also these old lenses just render differently versus their modern counterparts due to being...less perfect. I don't even know why I'm shooting anymore other than to pursue photographic perfection or attain camera Kaizen! :D

Here are a couple shots that reflect this madness, shot with the A7 and various Nikkors, Vivitars and Russian lenses! ;)

A7 + Helios 44M-4 58MM f/2 Lens @ F/2:
    braids_karma.

A7 + Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 Ai @ f/8:
    DSC01251.

A7 + Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-S @ f/2.8:
    DSC02220.

A7 + Helios 44M-4 58MM f/2 Lens @ F/5.6:
    drive_way.

A7 + Helios 44M-4 58MM f/2 Lens @ F/2:
    color_bw.

A7 + Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 Ai @ f/8:
    DSC01229.

A7 + Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-S @ f/5.6:
    DSC02233.

A7 + Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-S @ f/5.6:
    DSC02192.

A7 + Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-S @ f/2.8:
    DSC02135.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 17
    • Winner Winner x 6
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow, some excellent photos here with beautiful rendering/post processing :thumbsup:

I almost feel the same about MF legacy lenses (love the overall handling/process) but can't say there aren't times I "drool" over native AF lenses...

#5, #7 and #8 are my favourites!!! Which lens is for #8 if I may ask? Looks like it has some distortion

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Thanks! Are you talking about the escalator shot? I shot that with the Nikon 28mm 2.8 AI-S. I thought it was fairly distortion free! :roflmao:

4. Jbphotography

Jbphotography TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    UK
    I totally agree, I really like the added involvement with the process that MF lenses bring

5. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Beautiful shots, Jonathan. I love the look of #1&7 and I'd really like to know which lenses you've used for the images.
    I have some nice AF glass for my cameras but prefer the rendering of some of my old lenses to the modern, more sterile stuff. Regarding manual focusing that's what I've done for decades and if there's anything I loathe it's moving focus points all over the place or leaving decisions to silly processors and some half ass software.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    The 1st shot was with a cheap Helios 44M-3 58mm f/2 lens I got off Ebay and #7 was with the Nikon 28mm 2.8 AI-S. Last year, I accumulated my favorite trifecta of Nikkors which include the 28/2.8, 50/1.8 and 105/2.5 AI-S MF nikon lenses. I've owned and sold them at various points, but decided it was time to have them all especially with rising glass prices and old stock slowly disappearing. ;)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. Jbphotography

Feb 9, 2016
    UK
    I thought #1 was Russian glass - I really like the Jupiter8 50mm f2 I found in a box at home while clearing out

• Like Like x 1
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Excellent examples.

I too greatly enjoy MF lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Love #1 and #3.

I've been getting lazy and selling my MF lenses but I am thinking of getting back ihto MF for at least some uses. Most of the best portraits I took since switching to Nex were with Minolta 50/.1.7. I am really interested in Helios but the only copy I ever had was soft as hell.

10. Jbphotography

Feb 9, 2016
    UK
    I recently tried the Pentax 50mm f1.4 that I bought for my APS-C Pentax SLR - very impressed with it, not sure if it is a little short for full frame portraiture though.

I am considering buying a Jupiter9 85mm

11. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Shame on me, lol, I have copies of both lenses.

I also have the 28mm/f2 Ai version, and some other Nikkors in a box somewhere but unfortunately sold some others after my F3 died (on duty) many moons ago, my trusty old 75-150E and 85/1.8F among them.

12. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    I did some research and opted for the Helios 44-3 since it has the same optical formula as the 44-2 (known for the swirlies), but comes with modern multi-coating and mine was fairly new manufactured in 1993. So far my copy seems pretty sharp in the center so I have no complaints.

13. Joseph Thekale

Joseph Thekale TalkEmount Regular

Aug 24, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    My god, these pictures are breathtaking. Amazing shots man. I want to pack my bags and move out there right now. WOW!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Andromeda143

Andromeda143 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 19, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia
    Clive Dickinson
    I love all these shots. My favourites are 1,3,5 and 7, but all of them are lovely. There is no doubt that mirrorless cameras and legacy lenses draw you into manual operation and make you think more. I have only two MF lenses but often use my AF lenses in manual mode. This, coupled with the wysiwig nature of mirrorless (the immediate feedback) beats using optical vf on dslr's any day.
    Congratulations JonathanF2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Simply superb images! Agree with Joseph T., you've captured the L.A. vibe in the pics.
    You're not alone Jonathan. Been having a love affair with vintage manual focus glass that hasn't let up in over a year. So much involvement and enjoyment. And the rendered images are more appealing to me as well.

Here's a recent blog that you may find interesting that discusses this topic.

The Problem with Modern Optics

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. Andromeda143

Andromeda143 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 19, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia
    Clive Dickinson
    Interesting article.

17. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Sorry I meant #7, but I see its with the same lens :)

18. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Regular

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    As I've said before, your photography skills are superb!!! I don't think it matters what gear you have in your hands the photos will be ex excellent!

19. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Love the b & w of the kids in the sand box and the pop from the blossom shot:)

20. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    Fantastic photos.

Thanks for sharing.