1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Manual focus experience with A7* ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RnR, Sep 16, 2015.

1. RnR

RnR TalkEmount Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Any to share?

Have a stash of old glass which I have been using on m43 with Metabones Speedboosters. But ofcause you can't use rf glass, and I'm getting very keen in finding out first hand how my collection performs on ff rather than crop.

Been hearing good things about the Fujifilm manual focus experience. A Speedbooster added would get close enough to the ff experience for my slr glass, but again the rf glass gets treated like a second class citizen :(

FWIW I'm kinda drawn to a second hand A7s with a KolariVision mod. That iso.. and 12MP is fine for me. I'll only be using mf glass, so native glass selections is of no concern really.

So yeah would very much like to hear any thoughts and experiences :D

2. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    I have had no issues using old FD mount and T mount lenses also I have a Jupiter 8 50mm Leica thread mount lens all on the original a7. Focus peaking makes focus a breeze, I don't tend to zoom in to focus. I think the only issue is with wide angle RF glass where unlike SLR lenses the design makes the light rays depart the rear of the lens at an angle that is problematic for normal sensors. When Leica made the M9 and I guess all models since they had a special arrangement of micro lenses on the sensor to cope with the behaviour of RF lenses on the sensor along with some form of electronic adjustment compensation for each lens.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Manual focussing with my A7 works great, plain and simple. Never had a camera before that could bring out the best in MF lenses like the A7 does.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. csnite

csnite New to TalkEmount

Sep 18, 2015
    Of my 3 lens kit, 2 are MF. I am using a FE 28 f2 (AF), Canon FD 50 f1.8 and Rokinon 85 f1.4. I find that the AF is helpful but MF doesn't really slow me down much. If I want a "dumb" kit, I just throw on the 28-70 and go. For more critical work, I am probably going to be going a little slower anyway, so the MF isn't a big deal. With both peaking and magnify, I find MF to be a lot of fun and very accurate and quick. It does take a minute to get used to MF again, though.

5. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    I have no issue to focus a Voigtlander Nokton 50 at f/1.1... that's saying something... I even chase my kids with it but I keep yelling at them to stop which they largely ignore :D But anything static MF is no issue with the A7 series

6. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    I love my Jupiter 8 on the A7 II body. And I enjoy the manual focusing with the magnified view, plus IBIS. Brilliant...

7. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    I have a Jupiter 8 a good copt and its a little cracker of a lens, it is basically a straight copy of the pre war Zeiss Sonnar. I used it a lot on my M3 and have used it on various mirrorless as a superb portrait lens.

8. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. RnR

RnR TalkEmount Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Thanks for this link. The blog has an entry specifically on a brief overview of the A7 series with manual focus lenses - http://phillipreeve.net/blog/manual-lenses-sony-a7/

Interesting that he mentions the 'shimmering' sometimes seen in the evf. This was also reported by some users of m43 camera's, although I think they were using the lcd to focus. I have never been successful in seeing it though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I am only on day 4 with my A7ii plus only M mount lenses. I am finding it very easy to focus using the magnifier at its maximum magnification and lens wide open (depending on lens, scene, and possible lens focus shift maybe focus at large aperture, but not wide open). Precise focus in difficult situations is one big reason I bought into the A7 series. There are times that rangefinder (my other camera is a Leica M8.2) does not work well.

11. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Something about true full-frame (no focal reduction compromises) with a good EVF that gives extremely convenient access to magnified live view. It's the best way ever to do do MF as far as I'm concerned and no one else is currently offering this. (Except perhaps Leica, but their implementation sounds more awkward and the cost is quite prohibitive.)

IME it is a really huge deal to be able to move the focus magnification area wherever you like. (My critical focus area is in the dead center of the frame maybe 10% of the time?)

I've had a wonderful time with all kinds of old SLR glass, though I have to say, once I finally got the FE35 and FE55, my years of browsing and testing old lenses came to an immediate halt. If one is going to eventually wind up using mostly new native lenses, that does make more of a case for other existing systems. Even so, there's nowhere I'd rather be than with the A7 series. (I still use legacy macros for product shooting - a lot.)