"Manual Focus Assist"--with an adapted lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jen Watson, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Jen Watson

Jen Watson New to TalkEmount

Apr 30, 2013
    Just tested out some adapted lenses. With no EVF/OVF option on my NEX-3N, I was stuck with the lo-fi 400px 3" screen; trying to discern a hair's difference in sharpness is a huuge pain in the butt, with or without a tripod. I managed to get some decent shots, but it took a lot of effort--effort that would be all but eliminated if only I could get the screen to magnify the image.

Is there any way to get the 'manual focus assist' feature to work with adapted lenses? I'm wondering if this is an intentional limitation of the 3N, or if none of the NEX cameras allow for that option. I always use that feature with the kit 16-50mm lens, so not being able to use with adapted lenses would be an enormous pity.
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    After looking at the manual online it appears that you can't use custom soft key buttons like you can on some of the other bodies. On my 5N I have focus magnification assigned to soft key "B" when a MF lens is attached. Seems weird.
  3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    I can't speak to the 3n, but on my NEX-7 I have this function assigned to the very handy "AF/MF" button to kick in the magnification with adapted legacy lenses. It is a hugely helpful feature IME - makes the N7 far and away the most manual-focus-friendly camera body of all time.

If the 3N does not offer readily accessible MF assist with adapted lenses, that would rule it out for being a workhorse body for my workhorse (legacy macro) lenses. On the other hand, it could still be a nice inexpensive rig for casual use. Sounds like the automatic MF assist kicks in with e-mount lenses, and those are what I tend to favor on my road trips.