1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Managing-Sharing-Backing up Photos

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by alaios, Jul 2, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I am looking for an online solution for managing, sharing, backing-up solution.

I explain briefly what I have in mind and please comment what is the the web site that might do the job for me.

1.Back up my image, in a sense that my hard disk contents would be also flushed on the web for that reason
    2.I select who can see what image. I am not sure how this can be implemented. I guess sharing password by email to friends or any other tool the web site can offer.
    3.I also want, if possible, select the quality the other side can see (so I just share where needed low version images).
    4. Would it be possible to do what I want with dropbox and google drive if I go for buying the needed space?

What would you have to suggest here?

Regards
    Alex

2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I use SmugMug. My options are a little more limited than most as I'm behind The Great Firewall of China and some sites don't work well or at all here.

1. A basic plan ($5/month) gives you unlimited storage. There are plugins to for example Lightroom that can keep your Smugmug account in sync. I generally just upload only so-called finished photos there. 50mb limit/photo no raw.

2. Yeah, you can do this. Public galleries, family and friend galleries (password protected) and private galleries.

3. Yeah, you can choose what size of the image people can look at from S - XXXL and even original size. So in effect you are controlling what res people can see.

4. No clue, Google and China don't play nice.

By the way, there's a trial that's very good and if you do decide on SmugMug or any other photo storage service, check blogs and podcasts that they sponsor and you'll find discount coupons.

3. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    I suggest trying Zenfolio. For only $60/year (that's just $5/month) it can do everything you ask for and more. That gets you unlimited storage, Lightroom plugin, password protection of photos or galleries, tons of great themes, mobile apps, etc.

There are other plans as well if you plan to sell your photos. Try the 14-day free trial to see how you like it.

Zenfolio - Professional photo and video hosting for photographers and enthusiasts.

Disclaimer: I work at Zenfolio and I stand by our product :)

4. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    I just use google Picasa. I believe you get 15gb free these days and it isn't too pricey to expand that. You can auto sync your photos from your hard-drive using the free Picasa software. Galleries can be easily shared with everyone or a select few, or kept private. I really quite like the way the software can catalogue pics by face, so it will scan all your photos and lump together (in catalogue only) all pics containing a certain face. Great for seeing how much your kid has changed over the years.

It's maybe a bit basic but it suits me fine.

5. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    I have started with a trial version of smugmug and I would try to share how it works with sharing in facebook .
    I will post back more comments.

Still something is not clear for me.. if I have to go for a subscription (which is ok for me) why not take a subscription in dropbox type of services and share with images there? What more the specific image sharing platforms share that file sharing schemes (dropbox, google drive) do not offer?

Regards
    Alex

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I believe Dropbox (and maybe the others) only offer a list of files, where smugmug/flickr etc. offer thumbnails of the pics. I may be wrong though, I haven't use Dropbox for anything in over a year.

7. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    With SmugMug there are a variety of ways to share and at different sizes. You can upload your original but share a small version. You can imbed the photo in a forum or blog, you can share galleries at whatever size r you can just direct people to your SmugMug account where they can browse all the photos that you have made public. With a service like Dropbox, the other party must download the file.

8. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Same applies to Zenfolio. Services like these are much more geared toward photographers than Dropbox or Google+. I suggest trying the free trial on both SmugMug and Zenfolio to get a feel for which you like better.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using TalkNEX mobile app