Managed to speed up my laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by addieleman, Jan 27, 2014.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    Since I have a laptop instead of my desktop PC I have wondered why the laptop was twice as slow as my older desktop. Both have an Intel i7 processor and loads of memory, but when I click on a photo in Lightroom to 100 % viewing it takes 10 seconds on my laptop instead of 5 on my desktop.

Finally found what caused it! In the Power Options, Advanced settings there's the minimum processor state and it's set at 5 % by default. I've cranked it up to 100 % and now Lightroom and other stuff runs as fast as on my desktop. I also set the System cooling policy to active. More explanation here; it's for Windows 7 but my Windows 8.1 installation shows these same features.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    Is this a cue to start a Mac vs PC war ;)
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Damn, just wanted to comment that Mac OS X adjusts CPU and GPU power dynamically without having to fiddle with the settings ... :s
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    So does the PC, the minimum setting pointed out says Windows can throttle back the PC to 5% when it's not doing much. But the default maximum is 100%, meaning it will spin up under periods of heavy use.

Apparently, it's not always good enough at figuring out it needs to spin up the CPU's when plugged in. The disadvantage to setting the minimum to 100% is that all cores are always on, causing a larger power drain - which of course generates more heat, and the laptop will have to run the fans more often.

You might try setting the minimum to 25%, 50%, or 75% instead of 100% and see if that gets you the load times you need without going all the way to 100%.
  5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    It's never a good time to start a PC vs. Mac war... :p
    • Like Like x 1
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    The sentence in bold reflects my gut feeling. You are right that cranking it up all the way to 100 % might not be necessary but so far it works for me, the only disadvantage being a somewhat louder fan at times. In return you get a machine that feels much faster and especially Lightroom benefits from it. If needed it's possible to differentiate between battery and mains-fed operation.