1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mamiya RZ67 & Bronica ETRS (645)

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Yohan, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    I decided to browse Craigslist in the new year. Saw an ad for Bronica ETRS, 75mm, 150mm, two film backs, metered prism, and few rolls of film for $300 CAD. Even though I have no exposure to film, I thought this was a good deal and decided to grab the kit.

The gentleman who sold me the kit showed me how to operate the camera and load film. And there in my hands was a camera I just wanted to go out and use. It's given me a breath of fresh air in what has otherwise been a stale world of photography since Greece.

Here are some photographs from the Bronica:

John3413_2.jpg John3413_10.jpg John3413_8.jpg John3413_5.jpg John3413_4.jpg John3413_12.jpg John3413_14.jpg John3412_4.jpg John3412_8.jpg John3412_10.jpg John3412_9.jpg John3412_15.jpg John3412_14.jpg John3412_12.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 9
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Glad you are enjoying it. I know there is a rekindled interest in film these days.

I for one do not miss the film days. I love shooting something, immediately keeping or deleting it, then if you have access, being able to upload your images within minutes.

Nice pregnancy shots btw.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Excellent photos Yohan!!! They have a very special atmosphere which I guess only film provides :)

:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Nice!

What film was that? Kodak Portra?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Lomography Color Negative 400!

6. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Good stuff Yohan! I have been really enjoying a borrowed Rolleiflex for a while now. It has helped me to think about my photography in many new ways. Boy, when you nail the focus on those medium format cameras (and with the Rollei at least don't point it anywhere near the sun) --the image really pops doesn't it? I really like image #4 and pregnancy #2.

That seems like a great deal as well! I hope there are more images to come from this camera.

cheers,
    Eric

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Thanks, Eric. I agree! Nailing the focus will take some practice. I just loaded a roll of Kodak B&W. Hope to have more opportunities to shoot soon.

8. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I have been shooting film for a while now, using my Minolta glass (I bought to use with a NEX) and a Minolta XD.

Good fun! I prefer film black and white to anything I have been able to do on digital. I am actually surprised at the quality you can get out of it, if you get everything right (not easy).

This was taken on my favourite B&W film, Kodak Tri-x 400:

View attachment 55362 Scan-150113-0023.jpg by Jai Sbr, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  9. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Very nice!

10. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric

Excellent! I like shooting with B&W. Been using TMAX 100 with the Rollei so far. Bring it on from the ETRS!

• Like Like x 1
  11. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Very nice set of pictures. I went back and forth a bit over the last couple of years with a few film cameras and always liked a lot of the results I was getting. I always find that film has a more 'real' look to it, the photos look a little more timeless than digital. My problem was I could take 4 months to get through a roll of film so I got rid of my film stuff. Quality processing is getting harder to find as well.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    fair point. one of those rolls did take 2 weeks to finish. I had to be intentional about setting up time with friends to shoot. were you using 35mm? it helps to have only 15 frames/roll in that regard with 120 film.

• Like Like x 1
  13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I forgot that frustration of I've got all my vacation photos on a roll, but two/three snaps left.

14. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Nice set! Yep I've been dusting and polishing my Canon AE1 getting it ready to shoot again. This has inspired me to move that along faster. Thank you!! I plan on using The Darkroom online to develop the film as there are no processing centers by me anymore. Do you have any experience with them?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Those two were the first two rolls of film I had developed. I wasn't sure The Darkroom existed online. Luckily, there are still few places that do film processing in Vancouver. And do share what you make with AE1!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  17. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    16189940324_19f9c20f56_c.jpg Spring by yohanjkim, on Flickr

Mamiya RZ67
    Sekor Z 110mm f2.8
    Kodak Portra 400

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  19. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Excellent shots everyone.

I have a Mamiya M645 1000S with a Sekor 80mm f/1.9 for $300 on its way to me as we speak. I cannot wait to give it a go. I couldn't even afford an SLR in the film days...only used my father's Nikon FE, so the idea of shooting medium format is incredibly exciting to me.

20. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Mike, I agree with your sentiment. I really haven't had any experience with film. Going straight into medium format feels like a privilege.

• Like Like x 1