1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Making the plunge into E-Mount

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by erb3742, Mar 3, 2018.

A6500 and A7iii or A7Riii

Poll closed Mar 10, 2018.
  1. A6500 and A7iii

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. A7Riii

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. erb3742

erb3742 TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 8, 2018
    I’ve decided after a lot of research the past few months that I am changing systems from M43 to Sony. Not looking to debate that part.

Curious for those invested in the system as to which option below you would do:

Option 1:
    A6500 with 16-70/4 and 35/1.8
    A7iii with 24-105/4, 55/1.8 and 85/1.8

Option 2:
    A7Riii with the same FF lenses above

I have other lenses I want to add but this is the initial kit that I’m looking at. I normally like having a 2nd body but am debating if the investment in APSC lenses is a waste and I should add another FF body in the future.

2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I guess it also depends on what you were doing previously with your M4/3 system, and what you weren't able to achieve that warrants the change to Sony.
    Depth of field and full-frame dynamic range aside.

The new A7iii is so capable, a jack of all trades, and reasonably affordable.... that I'd probably start with that option alone (with lenses). And assess after a period of familiarization whether another APS-C system is warranted. Size is the only advantage now for the a6500.
    If you immediately discover you actually desired higher pixel density, you can trade up to a A7Riii. You won't lose much at all of value on the A7iii given how new it is and the demand will be ridiculous.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    We really need to know what type of photography you're into to advise you properly. Although I suppose you could cover it all with the a6500/A7iii combo. If you're into landscape, I'd go with the A7Riii.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Why do you want the 6500 at all? Just for a smaller kit? Personally, I think I would buy just FF lenses that you can use on both bodies.

I like WNGs suggestion - start with just the A7iii. You might just save yourself some money you can use to buy more glass instead. :) 

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. erb3742

Jan 8, 2018
    Thanks for all the advice so far. Mainly my photography is family events, chasing toddlers around, portraits, etc. I only do landscapes on occasion when traveling. I like having a backup body and coming from M43 having a smaller kit for travel is appealing though I am torn on whether the money is better spent on the A7Riii. So far the A7iii reviews are saying high ISO performance beats the R which is appealing to me, I don’t really need 42MP files, especially being happy with what 16 has been doing for me in M43 land.

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    In that case, if you're selling off your M4/3 gear, a good first body would be the a6500. To preserve that small form factor. I know how desirable that can be for travel.
    A camera is useless if you can't or don't care to take it with you.
    I assumed you were after the afore-mentioned DOF, dynamic range/lower noise, that most m4/3 users complain about.
    For the APS-C body, I recommend you add the SEL5018 OSS to your list. It's price to performance ratio is remarkable. A great low light, and portrait prime. I'd probably swap the 35mm for a 24mm f/1.8, IMHO, a more versatile focal length on APS-C.
    The a6500 is a very capable camera. You may find it suits all your immediate needs. But if you are desiring to shoot in full-frame....
    The two full frame bodies bring a lot photographic power to the table. If you're a photography enthusiast and wishes to create some 4K video as well, either will put a smile on your face.
    If you're adding full-frame, I'd still go by my first advice to start with a A7iii initially before investing in a a6500 kit. The other reason is that there's speculation/rumor of an a6700 in the wings. Some are betting it will have the Sony Z battery. So, if you get an A7iii, you won't be dealing with two batteries with an a6500. BTW, you'll need at least 4 'N' batteries. :p 

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I mostly agree with what others have said. I don't see a point of adding the A6500 & its lenses. I'd go for just the A7iii (which as Will has said is a jack of all trades, and reasonably affordable) and the lenses you want. The A7iii/55/85 combo is not that big imo. I'd say start with that and if in the end you want something smaller then consider the apsc route :) 

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    You should think about keeping a basic m43 travel kit and supplement with an a7 series for around the home. A7ii or a7iii

Why do you need an r series?

You could do the a6500 but I’m not a fan of those two lenses you mentioned and it’s the aps-c lenses frankly that keep me in m43 (along with a few other issues)

If you go all Sony than try the FE28 on the a6500 as a normal prime - solid combo - and get the 18-105 or 18-135, better values than the 16-70.

Oh and also - don’t sell all your m43 kit. Buy some initial Sony kit first (start w FF) and try it out, then make a decision -- one, the other, or both. Not everything gels with everyone, and the only thing more expensive than buying new kit is rebuying old kit you just sold.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  9. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I also mostly do family events, chasing (previous) toddlers around, and occasional travel. For that, I found that my previouscamera system limited me mostly with inadequate ISO. In order to focus with enough depth of field in often poorly lit events, I just could not get the images I wanted. Since you asked what I would do, I would absolutely go for the A7iii primarily for its ISO and focusing strengths.

I assume that you do not make large prints of family events, but instead share digitally to web-type formats or make smaller prints for scrapbooks. At least that is what I do. So again (asking what I would do) - what I would do is skip the R series cameras to have some money for lenses or accessories.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I would add the 28 f2 to the kit if you want to keep it small. Great little lens. Not the sharpest but it’s got some character.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Look at my signature and you will see what I have, I like the security of a second camera body and find myself using the A6300 more than the A7R2 recently.
    I enjoy having an ASPC and a full frame system, the lenses are all interchangeable so can be used with either camera.
    The compactness of the A6300 + 16-70 makes it a nice small kit to carry about, I carry the A6300, 10-18, 16-70 and 55-210 in a very compact Crumpler shoulder bag.

• Like Like x 1
  12. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    To me Sony doesn't offer much in Interesting lenses for aps-c. The gems for the A6000 line all comes from Sigma (16mm and 30mm f1,4 + the xxmm coming) and Samyang (8mm and 12mm)

13. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Dive straight into FF. I'm trying APS-C Sony and other than the excellent video and C-AF, I much prefer M43 as a small system kit. I think M43 glass is just smaller and better. Sony really shines when you go full frame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. erb3742

Jan 8, 2018
    I am for sure diving into FF. I have now preordered the A7iii and am on the lookout for used glass.

I am interested in the A6500 for lens compatibility as a 2nd body, video and C-AF while keeping it as a small kit. I am doing a trip the end of March so before the A7iii will arrive, and am debating getting an A6500, 16-70/4 and one of the fast primes. I like the idea of the video and C-AF being better than what my E-M1 can offer. For now I am hanging on to my E-M1 and 12-40/2.8 and 25/1.4.

• Like Like x 1
  15. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    As already mentioned it REALLY matters what you want out of your gear.

If money is not an issue the Sony FF systems finally have the AF down with the latest models and depth of field. But if you don't want to spend $2-3000 on a body any another $2-5000+ on FF lenses, APS-C gets you 95% of the way. As a married non-professional who has other money-draining hobbies, I just can not justify the extra expense that comes with FF.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. erb3742

Jan 8, 2018
    I am torn on keeping my M43 gear, so far I am keeping my E-M1, 12-40 and the PL25 that I think I bought from you a number of years ago!

I get the feeling that once I start using the FF camera, it is going to be what I want to use all the time. The A6500 lets me at least share lenses with the smaller body, it’s too bad the APSC primes don’t seem to be rated that well. I have the A7III on preorder and still am debating whether I will also buy the A6500 or if I should just buy the A7Riii. I like the idea of a backup body that can also serve as a teleconverter for my FF lenses. That and better CAF and video for a smaller body with fast wide prime for chasing my toddler around. I’m also looking at switching my lighting to all Sony which is another reason to ditch the M43 gear and have the 2nd body. I have a trip before the A7iii will arrive so there is also pre trip GAS adding to the decision. I really don’t need 42MP files since I never print that large so I think I just need to convince myself to buy the A6500 as well.

17. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    The thing about 42 MP files is that gives you a lot of freedom to crop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I wish Sony would create a small raw format similar to Canon and Nikon. The Nikon D850 can create smaller raws with no penalty in processing speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. erb3742

Jan 8, 2018
    That is intriguing. I am wondering how true the reports are that high ISO performance is better with the A7iii than the R. I care more about high ISO and CAF then MP but find it hard to believe the A7Riii isn’t just as good.

20. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    If you mean compressed RAW, we have it. If you mean a 24 megapixel raw, we have that too, you can shoot in APSC mode...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.