Major culling / reorganization of my Photobucket Account...I'm sure there are lots of broken links

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, Jan 15, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    I spent about 20 hours this week systematically going through every photo in every Album I've evolved over the years on Photobucket....renamed some, reassigned some photos, deleted some albums, added some albums & sub-albums, and in spite of culling / deleting about 150 photos still ended up with right at 1000 photos.
    Then using Photobucket's Album downloading feature, I downloaded a complete mirror image of the folder structure & photos I have at Photobucket, here on a spare hard drive. That was the real time consuming chore...Photobucket's Album downloading feature is not very sophisticated and is extremely time consuming.

My folder structure has many cascading levels of folders, for example:
    >>>FEMALE Bluebirds
    >>>>then the photos
    >>>MALE Bluebirds
    >>>>then the photos

>>>FEMALE Cardinals
    >>>>then the photos
    >>>MALE Cardinals
    >>>>then the photos

About 20 species of birds...then the same scheme for FLOWERS, INSECTS, SCENICS, SUNRISES, SUNSETS, MOON SHOTS...and on and on through many, many different named sets of folders.

You'd think I'd be able to simply select the main folder PHOTOGRAPHY...or if not the main one entitled PHOTOGRAPHY, then at least the majors like BIRDS, FLOWERS, SCENICS, etc...and automatically include/download all the cascading sub-folders under each major....but that's not the way Photobucket does it...I had to drill down to every level and separately select each and every specific folder with it's associated photos (ie: Male Cardinals) and download them one little sub-folder at a time.

Each actual download didn't take all that long once it got kicked off...BUT...the Photobucket host processing / file 'Zipping' preparation for each download took a huge amount of time. Multiply that times scores of albums with 1000+ photos, plus the time to build / set up an associated mirror image folder structure on my receiving end to unzip then propagate each and every one of those albums & photos properly when they got get the picture (no pun intended).

Anyhow, the overdue deed is done to kick off the new year...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I need to do this as well.
  3. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    I have issues also but just own my own hard drives, no organisation whatsoever just marked by the date when I import them, oh well.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    Major culling / reorganization of my Photobucket Account...I'm sure there are...

It really annoys me that Photobucket links follow the album structure and it is what has stopped me from reorganising. They really should share links as hashed keys to the photo's actual location on their servers and the album organisation just be an overlay that references back to that fixed location (which will never change).
  5. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    And its not like its some complicated unprecedented concept...Microsoft has had that simple ability in its design for a couple I suspect you know, if a copy of the entire set of folders and content in the "MY DOCUMENTS" folder wants to be made to another hard drive, the main MY DOCUMENTS folder is simply selected then the COPY command is used bringing everything accumulated in MY DOCUMENTS right along to the other hard drive.

But at least a couple pieces of good news are that in going through this exercise I've made a lot of photo storage / retrieval organizational improvements...and I also have a mirror image of all that stored here independently of Photobucket.
    • Like Like x 1