maintaining my sony a6000

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Lensify, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Lensify

Lensify TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 7, 2016
    I know some ways to preserve my camera well, yet i know it is not enough. Please share your ideas here :)

Is it good to store my camera with lens on? (i shoot once to twice a week)
    tips while changing lenses?

any other things i need to know? help me thank you in advance!

BTW, i love shooting on street so yea, it really gets dirty every time i shoot
  2. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Take care of it normally, as you would keep any other gadget. I keep my cameras in their bags in which I take them out for a walk, and bag in the closet.

The only thing you need to worry about is humidity and condensation, this can hurt any camera or lens. If there is a big temperature difference, let's say, from -20 outside to +20 in home, don't take it out from bag for several hours. Pull out your SD card while outside, and don't touch camera until it settles to room temperature.

If there is no bag, put it in ordinary plastic bag while still outside on cold and close it. Condensation will attach to outside of the bag, and you can remove it when camera or glass don't feel cold anymore.

Keep your lens on, if you have one you most likely use. No reason to keep it with no lens attached.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    In addition to what @nidza@nidza suggested. The other reason to keep your lens on the camera is because mirrorless sensors are exposed during lens changes. So keeping a frequently used lens on the camera means you don't have to worry about dust on the sensor as much. When you do change lenses, turn the camera off so the sensor isn't charged and attracting dust. Also try to face the camera mount downward and make the change swift.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    If you are going to interchange lenses, it's advisable to keep a small blower in your bag and use it. Nothing more frustrating than to find dust spots all over your day's shots.

I cover the LCD panel with a clear film as protection from scratches. Since I only use it for settings and prefer the EVF for composing and reviewing, the obscurity isn't an issue.
    The a6000 failed to ship with a hot shoe cover. Pick one up to keep the contacts clean. They are under $1.

If you do a fair share of street shooting and potentially have the camera bumped around, you can add a low cost a6000 spec L-bracket to it. Most have an extended base around the battery door. It provides a bit more grip area to the small a6000, and the aluminum frame offers a barrier to scratches, scrapes and wear to the bottom and left side of the body.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Nino Xerri

Nino Xerri TalkEmount Regular

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    All of the above Kenneth. I would also recommend that you place UV Filters on your lens/lenses. As you do street photography, the UV filters will protect the lens from potentially getting scratched and also getting dirty.
  6. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    I agree with the above comments though I don't use protect e filters. Would like Sony to introduce a closed shutter feature for lenschanging.

By all means keep it clean

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    While the general idea looks promising, he doesn't mention the brand of the soap he's using so it's rather useless in the end.
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN

This guys sounds like my cousin Yianni, lol. He forgot to windex the mirror
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
  10. Bryan Jefferies

Bryan Jefferies TalkEmount Regular

Jul 20, 2016
    Texarkana, TX.
    Bryan Jefferies
    As Will mentioned, having an enclosure can provide several benefits, 1. Protection from bumps, dings, and scratches., 2. More to hold onto (I guess it's according to how big your hands are)., 3. More contact points for add-ons like external mics, external batteries, lights, external recording devices, etc., 4. A handle if you need one (comes in handy for video)., 5. It just looks darn cool. Here's pics of the SmallRig for the A6000 and A6300 and sells on Ebay for around 70. (before handle).
    DSC05118.jpg DSC05117.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
  11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    ^ a6000 goes Mad Max Mirrorless!
  12. Lensify

Jun 7, 2016
    I just hope cleaning cameras are as easy as this.
  13. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I don't baby my camera. I take it everywhere. I bought this camera over 3 years ago and it still operates great.

I don't use a special camera case - just a regular small messenger bag.

I did buy an LCD protector that is now scratched in a couple places. The screen under it is pristine.

I use Lenspen to clean stubborn specs off the sensor. Just a regular Lenspen. Blow off the dust with a blower first, then use LP. In three years, this didn't leave me with a single scratch. The sensor is covered by a plastic AA filter anyway. The first time I did this in the presence of another photographer friend I thought he'd have a heart attack. Now he's doing the same thing with his camera. I do have the special swabs & the cleaning solution from my Canon days. Used it once in all that time.

I hate the "spray & pray" method of photography, so my shutter is just over 18,000 actuations, according to the shutter reading site. So statistically, this camera may easily last another six years.

About the only cosmetic damage after years of heavy use is a bit of shiny metal showing up on the top left corner of the body, just near the VF. It's not a scratch - looks like the paint just wore off where the strap was rubbing against it.

I do have a problem where there seems to be some problem with shooting mode selector - I'd put it in "A" and it registers "P". However it was doing it since new. I only noticed this after it was too late to exchange the camera, and it is not doing it often enough to justify sending it to Sony for a warranty repair.

I guess what I am trying to say is, these cameras are tough. Don't worry too much about breaking.

The only exception is water.. I shorted the AF on my old F3 by spilling a teaspoon worth of water on the back of the camera. But my Nex-6 was through the mist / light rain a countless number of times.

When I still used my Nex-F3 and I saw and handled the Nex-6 "in person" for the first time, I remember thinking, "wow this little camera has quite a solid, reliable feel to it..." So far, it didn't disappoint.

I assume A6000 is just as good. Just use it and take photos !
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 3, 2012
    somewhere betwixt here and now
    ... tough as nails. I don't baby them either; my second NEX-5 survived two free 3-5m flights, landed on concrete and marble floors and just kept shooting. I guess the lens shade absorbed most of the impact in both cases. Either of those stunts would have killed most other cameras, including my heavy ex-Nikons on the spot.
  15. Lensify

Jun 7, 2016

Thanks for this. What do you mean by
    "The sensor is covered by a plastic AA filter anyway"?