Macro tubes

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Kiwi Paul, Feb 15, 2017 at 11:03 AM.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I bought these Neewer macro extension tubes online from Amazon for only £17 (about $22).
    10mm and 16mm and can be joined for a 26mm tube.
    They have electrical contacts so pass through all the lens info.
    They are made of ABS plastic but the quality is fine, very light.
    On the FE55 1.8 lens using both tubes a magnification ratio of 1: 0.7 can be achieved.(1: 0.14 with no tubes).
    On the FE28 1:1 can be achieved but the front of the lens is only about an inch from the subject.
    But for the price they are excellent and offer a cheap way to get macro shots with most lenses.
    20170215-_DSC0896. 20170215-_DSC0897. 20170215-_DSC0898.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I just noticed those on your camera shot of the straps Paul. Pretty cool, glad to hear they work well.

3. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    Im using those with metal bayonet, as i've had bad memories with plastic ones. Other than that, tube is a tube, great and usefull piece of kit.
    Here is a great calc tool that is fairly accurate to estimate result with various lenses:
    Learn super macro photography cheaply using extension tubes

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    They can be quite handy when you don't want a dedicated Macro lens.

The only downside is that you have to take them with you.

5. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    Oh they are really small and light. I got them in my jacket all the time. For me PITA is actually putting them on and off.

Put 10mm - not enough
    Add 16 - too much
    Get it all off, then put only 16 - thats about it but now you see lots of speckles on your sensor with f11 that you need for DOF - so get it off and blow your sensor.
    Put it back - oh damn, the fly is gone.

True story! Thats why i get 100mm macro that is on my camera 90% of the time.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    One of the accessories I first bought for my a6000. With the lighter APS-C lenses, the plastic isn't a concern. They worked well for what they are, and good when doing macros hand-held on the cheap without losing AF and OSS. I don't use them much now that I have macro lenses, but they also help reduce the MFD of vintage lenses without the cost of buying tubes for each adapted lens mount. I stack these behind the dumb adapter when needed.