• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Macro options

Xterra

TalkEmount Veteran
What Macro lenses are out there? I'm now particularly interested in M-mount, cheaper than the Sony E-mount version, smaller, lighter?
thanks

MAubrey

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
I'm not aware of any M-mount macros. Macro photography has never been a genre for rangefinders by nature of their focusing method. You really need a mirror box or ground glass that sees through the lens to do it.

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
B&H lists a Macro-Elmar-M 90/4 for $3212. There might be cheaper used alternatives. I don't generally look to M mount for bargains, especially under the Leica name.
Leica R mount (their old defunct SLR line) is a whole different story. I have the Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8 and the Macro-Elmar-R 100/4. Both are really nicely built, really nice to work with, but are somewhat bulky and heavy.
There's all kinds of legacy 50mm macros out there, most of which are pretty reasonable in size and price. The Olympus OM I tried was especially small. My old Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 seems comparatively light. I've never heard of a major brand macro that was not sharp, at least not closer up (infinity focus is not always a strength with certain older lenses).
I just got the Sony FE90 and it seems optically very strong and has numerous modern amenities like AF, stabilization and the ability to go all the way to 1:1 without an extension tube. It is definitely bulkier and more costly than most vintage options.

Ad Dieleman

Amateur
B&H lists a Macro-Elmar-M 90/4 for $3212. There might be cheaper used alternatives. I don't generally look to M mount for bargains, especially under the Leica name.
Agree with the previous poster, forget about M mount for macro. Just find a legacy macro of Nikon/Pentax/Minolta/Canon FD/Olympus/... A 50mm can be found for less than € 100, a 100mm (preferable IMHO) for less than € 150 or so. My favorites are the Minolta MD Macro 100/4 and Canon FD 200/4. Once you've found a macro lens, buy the required adapter on eBay for a few dollars and you're set.

Latest threads

Top Bottom