Macro options

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Xterra, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Xterra

Xterra TalkEmount Regular

Feb 8, 2016
    What Macro lenses are out there? I'm now particularly interested in M-mount, cheaper than the Sony E-mount version, smaller, lighter?
  2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 9, 2013
    Bellingham, WA (displaced Canadian)
    I'm not aware of any M-mount macros. Macro photography has never been a genre for rangefinders by nature of their focusing method. You really need a mirror box or ground glass that sees through the lens to do it.
  3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    B&H lists a Macro-Elmar-M 90/4 for $3212. There might be cheaper used alternatives. I don't generally look to M mount for bargains, especially under the Leica name.
    Leica R mount (their old defunct SLR line) is a whole different story. I have the Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8 and the Macro-Elmar-R 100/4. Both are really nicely built, really nice to work with, but are somewhat bulky and heavy.
    There's all kinds of legacy 50mm macros out there, most of which are pretty reasonable in size and price. The Olympus OM I tried was especially small. My old Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 seems comparatively light. I've never heard of a major brand macro that was not sharp, at least not closer up (infinity focus is not always a strength with certain older lenses).
    I just got the Sony FE90 and it seems optically very strong and has numerous modern amenities like AF, stabilization and the ability to go all the way to 1:1 without an extension tube. It is definitely bulkier and more costly than most vintage options.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    Agree with the previous poster, forget about M mount for macro. Just find a legacy macro of Nikon/Pentax/Minolta/Canon FD/Olympus/... A 50mm can be found for less than € 100, a 100mm (preferable IMHO) for less than € 150 or so. My favorites are the Minolta MD Macro 100/4 and Canon FD 200/4. Once you've found a macro lens, buy the required adapter on eBay for a few dollars and you're set.