1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

macro lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by tuwinkk, Jun 13, 2013.

1. tuwinkk

tuwinkk TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 26, 2012
    Singapore
    hi guys...(and girls...hahaha)

I have sony 35mm and 50mm on my baby - NEX6 and i'd like to add a macro lens.
    i'm currently looking for 85-100mm manual lens with macro function (not for insect- flowers only) and saw many reccomendation for sigma 90mm...
    i'd like to have a "little bit" compact lens on my NEX6...
    any reccomendation..

thanks

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Third party 90mm macros seem all to perform very well but if you are interested in flowers 50 mm macros are ok as you seldom go to even 1:2. 1:2 means object of 32 mm* 48 mm with Nex.

3. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    The difference between 90mm and 50mm isn't going to be the magnification... It's the working distance you have for a given magnification. With a 50mm at 1:2 you have to be really close, and you are more likely to have trouble with things like casting a shadow on your subject. A 90mm or 100mm will give you a little more room to work with. But I agree a 50mm might be all you need.

I've aslo been looking into macro lenses the last week or so. I recently picked up a Minolta 50mm Macro with 1:1 tube.

https://www.talkemount.com/f39/minolta-50mm-3-5-macro-3587/

I really like it, and it will probably be just fine in most cases, but sometimes I really do want that extra working space. I do like to shoot insects, so the extra working distance of a 100mm will come in handy for me.

So I decided to get a Cosina 100mm f/3.5 Macro (AKA "plastic fantastic"). I was very tempted by the Sigma 90mm too. I actually saw one brand new on Amazon for $140 just a day or two ago. I wish I had purchased it, but I had already bid on a used one on ebay and was waiting. Just my luck, when I went back to Amazon it was no longer available :(

Flickr: The Cosina 100mm f/3.5 Macro Pool

Before I got the 50mm, I was using the SEL 55210 with a close up adapter (Oly mcon 35). And that works pretty well, but it is a pretty heavy/bulky setup to only get about 1:2. And the SEL 55210's max aperture is a but too small when I want super shallow DOF.

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Completely agree.

The reason I think that 50 mm macro isn't necessary as with magnification of 1:4 working distance is about 35 cm. 1:4 is object size of 10 cm * 6 cm. Anything needing 1:2 or 1:1 benefits from longer focal length but flowers are ok with 50mm.

There is one plastic fantastic for sale in ffordes, fd mount.

5. tuwinkk

Dec 26, 2012
    Singapore
    thanks for all the recommendation...
    i'd like to buy 90mm for the sake of add a FL on my collection as well...
    but seems lil'bit hard to get a compact 90mm lens with macro capability...

6. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    How compact does it need to be? The sigma you mentioned seems pretty compact. And the Cosina isn't much bigger and very lightweight.

7. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Adapted lenses won't ever be compact due to the added adapter size. But macros should preferably be a bit longer anyway.

8. tuwinkk

Dec 26, 2012
    Singapore
    How compact? size of 55 210 or canon EF 100mm is fine for me...(without adapter)
    time to do hunting for the lens...i stayed in the country without a lot manual lens available...
    hehehehe

9. dshin525

dshin525 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    I've had the minolta 50/3.5 and I really liked it. But the very short working distance wasn't conducive to shooting insects. So I recently picked up the 100/4. Havent had a chance to test it out but the extra working distance will definitely help.