Macro Lens Advice

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by PeteH1a, Feb 12, 2017.

1. PeteH1a

PeteH1a New to TalkEmount

Dec 26, 2016
    Looking to do some macro . I have tubes to use with my Pentax lenses, but looking for a straight macro lens that can be adapted to my a6300

2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I know it's a switch in 'systems' for you, but I'd highly recommend looking at a Nikon Micro lens. I have a Micro Nikkor 55mm 2.8 that is just an amazing lens that I got for fairly cheap money, relatively speaking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I'm sure there will be a variety of replies...mine is that I use manual Canon FD 50, 100, 200mm lenses adapted to the NEX7 model...excellent lenses as far as I'm concerned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Being a Minolta collector I could say that you need to find a Minolta macro lens, but in reality it's really hard to go wrong with a macro lens. Pick anything from Minolta, Nikon, Canon, Konica, Olympus, Pentax, Zeiss, Yashica, Leica, Tamron, Vivitar, Panagor, Tokina, Sigma etc. etc., order the adapter for it and you're set.

Important thing to consider is focal length: if you like to have a longer working distance and flatter perspective you're better off with a 90..100mm lens, otherwise a 50...60mm lens is fine too and smaller and (mostly) cheaper. There are lenses that are still longer, like 200mm, but these are rarer, more expensive and less handy; they give you long working distances however which can be advantageous for bugs like ants that can attack you with unpleasant fluids (not from my own experience :)).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The Pentax macros are very good, but rare and pricey. Both the old M42's and the Pentax K-mounts fetch a lot of coin. So, with that, it would be more cost effective to switch over. Having tried Minolta, Canon, Olympus Tamron and Nikon, they are all very good, just like Ad stated.
    Having said that, being the frugal photographer that I am, I recommend the Canon FD 50mm f/3.5. Because they come up more often for less. I got mine for $11.50 USD!
    They usually go for in the low-mid $20s on eBay.

6. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Wow...times must have changed.
    I haven't checked in about 3 years but I paid $95 and $100 for my Canon 50 and 100 macros.
    That included shipping...but still, 20-something is almost free
    :)

7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I paid $37 w/ shipping for my 1st copy a year and a half ago, and the cheaper one last Summer. Of course the prices there change like the stock market. But one can pick up a bargain.

8. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    My list would be (in this order):
    -Minolta 200 via LA-EA4 (Up to 1:1)
    -Sony 90 FE
    -Minolta/Sony 100 via LA-EA4
    -Tamron 60 via LA-EA3
    -Sigma 105 or tamron 90 via LA-EA4

long time nothing...
    -Whatever MF macro lens with 90+ mm and aperture of 2.8 (or 4 if longer than 135mm)

9. PeteH1a

PeteH1a New to TalkEmount

Dec 26, 2016
    I want to thank all for your input . I am new to Sony my 1st SlR was a Pentax H1a which I still have and adapted to the Sony. This forum has been helpful in my transition. I just got my 1St adapter a Fotag and will use it with my SMC TACK 1.4. I will post some PIC

• Like Like x 3
  10. Nino Xerri

Nino Xerri TalkEmount Regular

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    Thanks for raising this question Pete. I was thinking the same thing.
    Ad a good friend of mine is also a Minolta fan and has lent me his Macro 50mm f2.8. Pin sharp in the middle but a falloff in sharpness towards the edges.
    Relatively new to macro photography so I am asking if I am doing anything wrong. I use the lens with a Sony LE-A4 Adaptor.

11. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    At which magnification?

12. Nino Xerri

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
  13. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    Hmm, shame. Seems that minolta optimized it for oo or:
    I dont have this lens, so it's hard to me to advize, but i didnt noticed this problem on minolta 100. But often the "problem" with peripheral sharpness is related to paper thin DOF. Your sensor and subject need to be PERFECTLY aligned to obtain uniform sharpness @1:1. Try to experiment with LCD screen pixels, with tilting your camera on tripod until you get best results. Eventually if precise aligning is a problem you can stop down a lot (that will obviously also kill most lens abberations, so not the best way to test) OR focus stack - to make sure DOF is big enough.

With this lens mounted on a6000 @2.8 and 1:1 magnification your DOF is 0,06mm! You need to step to f22 to get 1mm of perfect focus.

14. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    60mm f2,8 Sigma art + extension tubes
    DSC07677.JPG
    105mm micro nikor
    DSC07728.JPG

35mm on reversing ring
    DSC07816.JPG
    25mm on reversing ring
    DSC08005.JPG
    55 micro Nikon
    DSC07892.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Nino Xerri

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    Thanks again John.
    I will certainly take on your advice and experiment a little more.
    Nice images Soeren.