1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Macphun Noiseless. Wow...

Discussion in 'Post-Production' started by izTheViz, Apr 13, 2015.

1. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Hey,

I came across a video on youtube showing what this new piece of software can do to remove noise on images. Decided to give a try. The product will come out officially in 2 days or so but one can download a trial version from the Macphun website (Mac only)
    The result is simply astonishing ! No comparison to what LR can do in difficult (or any kind of noisy photo) situation.

Try it. I bet you won't be disappointed.

http://macphun.com/noiseless

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I've found that lightroom never struggles to get rid of noise, but at the same time tends to make everything look like it's made out of plasticine.

Do the results look natural?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Definitely. Looks to better manage detail/structure when removing noise. Serge Ramelli has made a comparative test you can view on the tube. Will also make further test but from what I've tried so far it is way better.

4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Do you know if it works equally as well on JPEGs ?

5. Lurch

Lurch TalkEmount Regular

Apr 5, 2015
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    Just had a quick look and it looks fantastic. Significantly less heavy-handed than Topaz deNoise for instance.

6. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Yep. It works, even if the result won't be as good as on RAW files but it does a pretty good job and you don't need the pro version for that.

7. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    to be honest I do not believe in that miracles. If you have not the correct information about a pixel you can also try to guess or predict it. Average sampling or even more advanced methods will try to reduce noise and at the same time would reduce sharpness as well.

I always try to think how I can shoot with less noise and avoid the post processing for that any way. Lately I am shooting more of my shots way below is 800 with few exceptions only
    Alex

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Agree, but many wildlife shots I go after are in very low light...first light / last light sort of thing...example: been in this blind since 30 minutes before sunrise...if I can't at least use 400 I might as well stay home.

9. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Yes ther are cases that you can not avoid that.. I am still not convinced that any extra "super-duper-amazing" external program really pays off the extra time and the cost of the more complex workflow.
    I have been "cleaning" my shots when needed with lightroom quite okay. I have seen examples that other programs can do slightly better after tweaking but I am not sure that for me that would be a good investment of time. For the marginal gains of external programs, I pick the simpler approach and using currently only lightroom. That allows me to shoot more, correct more things during my shoots and keep my pc time to a minimal (even though still is a large fraction of time).
    Luckily for my type of work I do not need to really increase iso too much and when I need.. I stop and think. 95% I am missing something

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    No version for Windows yet, as far as I can see.

11. Lurch

Lurch TalkEmount Regular

Apr 5, 2015
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    im pretty sure all their apps are Mac only

12. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I use DXO optics pro for noise reduction, It seems to have two auto noise reduction settings "prime" and "high quality". The high quality setting is less aggressive and use for non extreme iso shots. While prime is there for the really bad noise. But different people find different levels of noise acceptable, I've read many reviews on my a7s of people saying 102,400 is useable. But for me I try not to take it over 25,600 , and 51200 is last resort for me. I shot this at iso 20,000 and use the "prime" setting for noise reduction. would be interesting to see these two programs benchmarked against each other.

16865195220_817c7102ce_b. _DSC1612_DxO by Chris Thackray, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  13. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Try it for free if you are Mac. Honestly I was surprised by what I got straight from the preset and without playing with all tuning possibilities.

14. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Well unfortunately im in the other camp ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I just did a quick comparison (on a really nasty RX100M3 shot at ISO6400) between it and the Nik Dfine 2 plugin, and I couldn't get as nice a result at any of the Noiseless presets as I could with the Dfine 2 default preset. I prefer to keep a little "subdued" noise rather than lose all detail, and I couldn't find that balance with any of the Noiseless presets. Maybe with a little fine tuning I could get there. But when Dfine 2 pretty much gives me a one-click solution most of the time...

16. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Interesting. Thanks for the heads up! I guess the biggest advantage at the moment is this solution is way cheaper then both DXO and Nik Dfine.

17. Lurch

Lurch TalkEmount Regular

Apr 5, 2015
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    Anyone else who pre-ordered get their activation code a day early? :D

18. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    I did. Tried LR, Define2 and Noiseless yesterday and clearly the winner was Noiseless followed by LR and far behind Define2... I do not often shoot at high isos but sometimes this happens (tripod are not allowed everywhere). Not only Noiseless did a better job at reducing the noise but also keeping the color right and the level of details almost native.

19. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Impressive...I'd like to try it as well but need it in a PC format...hope they come out with a version like that

20. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There is a possibility to run OSX in a virtual machine. I don't think that is very practical and it is illegal in USA anyway.