M645 Lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Warthog, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Warthog

Warthog New to TalkEmount

Mar 10, 2014
    Rijnland, NL
    Does it make any sense to use Mamiya 645 lenses (55/2.8, 80/2.8 and 150/2.8) for NEX 6? I have all the focal lenghts covered by Nikon and Canon FD glass already. Would M 645 lenses be any better or is there no visible difference in quality with the small sensor?
  2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It won't probably work well as medium format lenses aren't as good usually as 35mm lenses. The idea behind medium format is simple huge negative (60*45/24*36 is roughly 3). If someone would build giant speedbooster the situation might be interesting (150mm/2.8 would make a 75mm/1.4). People have build tilt shift lenses out of them, that might be interesting.
  3. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Im not sure about using MF lenses on an apsc crop camera. But I have considered their use on my a7, since that would be very similar to using a full frame lens on a crop body. But that same lens with the much smaller NeX 6 would be to much of a crop. If that makes any sense.

But like xXx1 say, MF lenses arent necessarily 'better' then 35mm lenses. The advantage with MF comes in the size of its sensor or the size of the film negative. Its just freaking huge.

Overall you really wouldnt be gaining much if any IQ for the huge increase in bulk and weight a MF lens brings with it.
  4. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
  5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    DB beat me to the punch. The Rhinocam makes sense if you a) already have the 645 lenses, and b) plan to print really large. Otherwise there really isn't anything you can do with a 645 lens(except maybe tilt/shift) that can't be done with a FF or APS-C lens.

Except give yourself a hernia lugging them around. ;)
  6. Warthog

Warthog New to TalkEmount

Mar 10, 2014
    Rijnland, NL
    Yes, that's what I thought - the resolution of those M645 lenses according to charts on the internet is quite comparable to my current 35mm film ones. I was just asking in case I overlooked some qualities of these 645 lenses.
  7. JudyM

JudyM TalkEmount Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    I bought an M645 when they first came out, and the 80mm f2.8 was not a sharp lens. Several of the wedding photographers I knew, who were initially excited about the format, ended up selling the cameras for that reason. I sold mine and went with Hasselblad. The Mamiya was not a bad camera, the 80mm just showed itself to be soft when printing 8x10's. From what I remember (and this is going back some 30 years) other lenses in the system were better. I had the 210mm f4, and it was better than the 80mm.