1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

M43 user - Just picked up an A7R

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by pdk42, Feb 2, 2016.

1. pdk42

pdk42 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 26, 2014
    Hi all,

I'm a pretty hard core Olympus user with an E-M1, E-M5 and a bunch of lenses. I've been looking at the A7 for a long time and decided that I'd dip my toe in the water and give the system a try. So, I've found a clean, little used A7R and the plan is to use it with a few OM lenses I have.

It's definitely a small step to see how I like it since truth be known I'm pretty happy with m43. The IQ is good enough for most things and the size/price/features mix of the m43 system is excellent. However, I do sometimes find noise at higher ISOs an issue and since I do a lot of landscapes, the extra resolution and DR wouldn't go amiss.

I decided to go with the R since the resolution step up is significant (in for a penny and all that) and whilst the talks of shutter shock are concerning, I've been there before with m43 in its early days and survived! In any case, if I like the overall experience, I'll probably trade up to the A7Rii once I've trimmed the M43 kit down a bit (can't see me ditching M43 altogether).

Anyhow - that's sort of a long "hello"!

• Like Like x 5
  2. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Welcome, Paul! i thought long and hard about getting an EM5 before going with a NEX-6 a couple of years back --if anybody would have had one locally I might just as well gone the m43 way. Eventually I would like to get an m43 set-up with some longer lenses for wildlife work.

Looking forward to hearing how you are getting on with the R and seeing some images!

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome, hope you enjoy it

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount mobile app

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  4. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    As a pretty 'hard core' M43 user before I became a pretty 'hard core' A74/ii/rii user I would say that you have possibly made a mistake in acquiring an A7r. I had one and I much preferred my EM1. Yes the image quality of the A7r was far superior (more superior than I imagined) but its usability was way, way way below. These problems were resolved with the A7ii and even more so with the A7rii (at a price).

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Welcome! I'll be curious to hear your ongoing impressions. (I remain m43 curious but can't really be investing in yet another system - besides, the supposed slowness of the A7 series suits my more contemplative style... most of the time.)

6. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Agree completely with Robbie. I feel that the original A7r was half baked - unfortunately with certain lenses and certain shutter speeds the shutter shock can be so severe that you end up with a much lower resolution than even the 24mp A7. For example check out victor pavolovic review of the FE70-200...

Another issue is the mount itself that is not as strong as the one that was implemented in the A7s and subsequently the A7ii or A7rii.
    The obviously problems with the autofocus hunting made me stick with the EM1 at least until I got my hands on the A7s and subsequently the A7ii. I am not trying to dump all over your recent purchase - truly congratulations and welcome here, but I don't feel that the original A7 bodies are very representative of the capability of the modern A7 series as it stands today. The A7ii and A7rii are similar bodies to shoot as the Em1.

7. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Welcome! I too am a m4/3 convert to Sony FE. Came all the way from my lowly GF1!

When I bought my A7 I considered the E-M1 closely since I was already invested in the lenses. However, I liked how the A7 felt in my hand, and in the end I'm glad I chose to go FE. Amazing, amazing image quality. I think there are areas where Sony could improve the usability of their cameras/menus, but I was able to adapt and my fluency with my A7 is very good now. If you are trying to use two systems at once, I could understand having trouble switching between the two though. If you give it a bit of time to learn Sony's menus/control scheme, especially as a landscape photographer, I think you'll enjoy the A7r immensely.

Starting with some legacy lenses is a great way to go (I used Pentax m42), although I soon found that I craved FE glass :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome pdk42! There are many of us here who migrated over here from m4/3. It's been three years since I last held a m4/3 camera, and I have no experience with the A7R (So why am I commenting?), but I can't imagine that the resolution and dynamic range and DOF difference won't be noticeable.

9. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Hi Paul, welcome to across the hall.

I've got my last m43 lens listed and though I'll never say never, I don't see me going back this time. I don't know that Sony is my last stop, but it's where I am for now.

It's quieter over here than mu-43, so please post some pics! I'd love to see more folks getting involved in posting.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. pdk42

pdk42 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 26, 2014
    Thanks all. I hope I haven't made a mistake getting the R. We'll see. It seems there is a lot of polarised opinion on it. Some say it's an unfinished work - suffering from shutter shock, raw-file compression problems and generally lacking polish; others seem to get great images from it and play down the negatives. Well, I guess I'll have to do my own analysis and decision making! My biggest worry right now though is that the Oly OM lenses I have won't cut the mustard with the 36Mp sensor and I'll be tempted to spend more money on the 35/2.8, 28/2.0 or 55/1.8 just to form a reliable opinion. Expensive game is this photo gear!

As to leaving u43, I can't really envisage me doing that. The speed, usability, features and "pretty darn good" IQ seem a combo that's hard to beat.

I'll definitely post some pics. Sharing images is a big part of why I do photography!

• Like Like x 3
  11. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Welcome. I used u43 for a couple of years until I was shocked (in a good way) by the IQ of a Leica (merely M8), another door in this hallway. I did not use the u43 cameras after that. Each camera has its strengths and weaknesses. Now I notice that my Leica is sitting unused...

Anyway, the point is to create remarkable images with the equipment you have.

Again, welcome. I hope to see some of your work soon.

12. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    the problem with wide oly legacy lenses is not sharpness, it's decentering, which will be much more evident on a ff camera... if you have a 24/2.8 that's not decentered, guard it with your life :)

putting shutter shock into perspective, based on scientific testing: "My conclusion is that even at the camera’s worst shutter speed, the a7R images have higher resolution and micro-contrast than the a7 images. Therefore if you’re shooting in landscape orientation at focal lengths of 135 mm and shorter, and are willing to go to a little trouble to mount your gear carefully, then you’ll get better IQ with the a7R than with the a7 at all shutter speeds. The difference is great enough that it probably extends out to focal lengths significantly longer than 135mm." Comparing Sony a7 and a7R sharpness | The Last Word

• Like Like x 1
  13. pdk42

pdk42 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 26, 2014
    Well, I found a used 35 f2.8 so decided to get that too. If I'm going to judge the A7r then I'd best do it on a decent native lens!

• Like Like x 1
  14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Don't let 'em get you down.

For stills the A7 series has always been stellar. It is just the AF ability was bit lacking in earlier models

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount mobile app

15. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Welcome to the club ;)

I'm firmly in both camps - the E-M1 is the high performance workhorse, and my telelphoto camera par excellence (even more so with the little Tuna 150/2.0). But the A7r is a loveable if imperfect camera. Is it slow to start up? Yes. Bit clunky, very so-so AF speed? Yes. Shutter shock? Didn't notice personally. Raw file compression? I guess, but the files are still much more malleable and nicer than the E-M1's already excellent files. Do I want the A7rII? certainly, but not at the current price point. Even though it seems to fix pretty much every niggle I have with the original (except I'm one of the few who doesn't mind the shutter button placement and would prefer the smaller body on the mark II). So yes, the A7r is an imperfect, slightly beta product camera, but I thoroughly enjoy using it.

I love shooting the A7r with manual glass (usually the Voigtlander 35/1.2 II), and the 55/1.8 is hands down my favourite autofocus 50. The 35/2.8 is merely 'ok' (it's a good lens, sharp, but not particularly exciting), and while folks complain about the FE 16-35 (which is the most mounted lens, I think), the result I get are very good indeed, even handheld.

16. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Paul,
    The camera is already purchased, I wouldn't overthink it. Go out with the OM glass and enjoy!
    I have found that my OM prime lenses (24 f/2.8, 28 f/2.8, 50 f/1.4, and 135 f/2.8) have held up well with my A7ii. The OM 35-105 f/3.5-4.5 worked well on APS-C, but not so much on FF.

17. pdk42

pdk42 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 26, 2014
    Good advice!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. eastwestphoto

eastwestphoto New to TalkEmount

Dec 14, 2015
    Howdy, Get the m4/3 rds > Nex adapter on ebay, that adapter will adapt any lens that covers Full frame for you and save you much money. Shutter Shock can be negated by a shutter speed faster than 1/160 th. So in each menu increase ISO to 200 anyway that should do it. HDR on the A7r is very good, SCN mode sunsets are amazing color. Unfortunately only web based transfer programs & sites work for big file sizes and a ISP is worthless these days. Websites that have image size max's are also worthless. The biggest problem in the industry these days is high end TV's or file sizes have FAR outstripped the data max size limits. the Sony APS-C lenses also work on FE full frame mount but do NOT cover the whole size of the frame. In that case turn Off the crop mode and crop in post processing. The 20mm aps-c lens has a special fish-eye adapter thats extremely good, you Must fine focus manually but the adapter gives you great super wide shots, here's an example of an entire huge cruise ship: DSC04421.JPG
    Regards, Eastwestphoto DSC04417.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  19. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Hey, saw your post on mu-43 about your EM1 and 7R comparison here: E-M1 and Sony A7R comparison (warning - lots of images) - Olympus UK E-System User Group

I asked the question on mu-43, but maybe it's better here.

Your tests are jpg. Did you compare RAW and processing, or just jpg shooting? I ask because Sony jpgs really are not good. They are at the point Panasonic was at the start of m43, IMO. If you are a pure jpg shooter, then an Oly body specifically could be a better bet for you.

Also, did you compare color faithfulness at high ISO? That was my biggest issue/complaint with m43. The noise somewhat, but less so. It was much more about color and skin tones (at high ISO) especially. I could never get them looking good in my m43 kit. I often struggled getting rid of a magenta cast from RAW images on the EM5.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  20. eastwestphoto

eastwestphoto New to TalkEmount

Dec 14, 2015
    I tried Raw, Raw & JPEG, JPEG only modes. my photos are stunning beautiful with JPEG, I cannot image the Processing time of RAW. Still this is MOST important, I manual focus a Loxia 50/2 Zeiss lens, I AF using a LA-EA4 Tamron 28~300mm IF UD ll aspherical Zoom. My Sony A7r is NOT known for being a great focus machine ( Contrast type AF), so magnified focus is my procedure, with a 1/160th or > shutter speed. For astro-photography work, I shoot in self timer 10 second and -1.5 at higher ISO ratings. Strangely I threw away all the fancy Japanese, Korean, Chinese tripods and use an OLD USA DSC03671.JPG 1960 solid heavy Quick set tripod. Unless your using a Linhof or Manfrotto tripod make darn sure your tripod doesn't drift. I am NOT talking about earth rotation here or star movement, but the crummy tripods with dampened heads that actually drift in 30 second exposures. Moon shots I used 1000mm Russian Maskutov Cassergrain design from 1959; adapted correctly is still a great lens and quite sharp. moon exposures can be faster shutter speeds, no problem. Recently i used a older Oly pen digital which gave me 2,000mm equivalent field of view. A hoodman 5x magnifier on back of the TTF display gave critical focus that extra edge that makes good moon shots for little money. Above example is hand held, try that sometime..... DSCN0122.JPG regards, Don

• Like Like x 1