M42 to Sony e Mount adapter question

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MAZALA, Aug 14, 2017.

1. MAZALA

MAZALA TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2016
    Hello, I found a pristine Vivitar 28mm f1:2.5 for practically no money, that I would like to adapt to my A6000.
    A search for Vivitar to E mount adapters produced no results. After more research I found that since it is a screw mount it would be a M42 mount? this is my best guess but I'm not really sure. Assuming I'm correct, the lens mount has a pin that retracts when moving a slider to MANUAL. It does not however retracts 100%, there is a tiny bit still sticking past the mount and I'm wondering if that would preclude the adapter from sitting flush against the lens. I'm wondering is one of you gentlemen could help an adapted lens newbie. And yes, there is a M42 to E mount adapter by Fotodiox. Thank you for your help. IMG_0622. IMG_0619. IMG_0621. IMG_0623.

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I don't think the pin will be a problem, all M42 adapters I've seen either won't touch it or have a metal pad which will push it in to close the aperture to the set value. Any M42 adapter will do in your case because you can set the A-M slider to M for use at the aperture set by the aperture ring. For lenses that don't have an A-M switch you'll need an adapter that will push the pin inwards to close the aperture.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MAZALA

Dec 2, 2016
    I appreciate you taking the time. Thank you kindly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Vivitar is a 3rd party lens seller. So they offered lenses to accommodate numerous brands' mounts. Yours is Pentax-M42 as you've surmised. There are plenty of M42 to E-mount adapter on ebay. They come in flanged and non-flanged versions. The flanged version is for lenses without the Auto/Manual switch.
    It's normal for the pin to sit above the surface when depressed, it's not supposed to be flush. And the flange doesn't seat flush either.

As for this lens. You may find it only acceptable image wise, on the a6000. I tried it on my a6000 and found it too soft at f/2.5 and lacking contrast. You'll have to stop it down to f/8 to get reasonable sharpness. So, YMMV and perhaps my copy was a bad one. But the Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 (made for Vivitar by Komine) to be superior, image wise.

5. MAZALA

Dec 2, 2016
    Thank you WNG for the clarifications. You are probably correct regarding the lens performance but I look at it this way: a pristine, barely used lens for $9 and $18 for an adapter? How wrong can I go for $27? It will be a toy to play with and experiment. After all I'm not trying for Photographer Of The Year or to be the next Ansel. More importantly it keeps my GAS inexpensive, haha. Thanks again.

6. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Well, I'll let you know in a few days. I picked up a free Vivitar Series 1 70-210 in M42, and have purchased a Fotodiox adapter ($19.95) that should arrive Thursday. I also have switched the lens from A to M and the pin retracted almost all the way in. Not sure how the lens will perform, it's a real beast, I'll have too watch it does not tear out the lens mount ring in my camera (although I did replace the original in my A7R with a Fotodiox Toughmount).

As an aside, the lens I got free because an elderly gent wanted to just donate his old Pentax film gear to active photographers. But when I checked Ebay, this lens is selling for up to $280 (Euro 249) if in good condition. Mine looks great, I'll need to check it has no fungus or mold inside though.

7. MAZALA

Dec 2, 2016
    My adapter will arrive on Thursday also, we should probably post a few images and see what response we get. As for price, I read somewhere that my lens retailed for around $1000 in the 70'. I must have misread, could that be?

8. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    Most likely $100 (US)

9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The Vivitar Series-1 70-210mm came in 4 versions, from different manufacturers. Each had their strengths and weaknesses, but all were excellent performers.
    You can decipher the version and make from the Vivitar serial number. 22xxx: Kino Precision/Kiron, 28xxx: Komine, 73xxx: Tokina, 96xxx: Cosina.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    WNG: Mine is SN 2254xxxx so I think the Kiron version. Thanks, good to know.

11. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    OK my adapter came in the mail today, I took a few quick shots all hand held, with my A6000.

Lens Tests - refiningman

The aperture is shown in the caption. The last 3 shots were done using the "macro" setting (I think!). I could only find focus by moving the entire camera/lens in and out; the focus ring had little effect.

Last 2 shots are at f16 and a bit soft.

Since I have the 70-300G I don't think this old Vivitar lens is going to see much use.

• Like Like x 1
  12. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    And to answer MAZALA, the aperture registration pin did not interfere with the adapter, when in the "M" setting

13. MAZALA

Dec 2, 2016
    You are correct, the lens is not stellar but for $28 all told it's quire acceptable. Also, I think that with proper support on a tripod and out of my shaky hands it will produce pretty good results. All in all fairly happy.

• Like Like x 2
  14. MAZALA

Dec 2, 2016
    Thank you, you are right, the pin did not interfere when set to M.