• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

M-Rokkor 90mm f/4

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
Well, listening to you guys talk about and display images from the Minolta Rokkor lenses I figured I needed to get in on the act as well. I didn't want to use slr lenses though, so I looked and found a copy of the M-Rokkor 90/4 originally co-designed by Minolta (M-Rokkor) and Leica (Elmar C) for the Minolta CL and various Leica rangefinder cameras. Minolta subsequently redesigned the lens for use on its CLE rangefinder camera.

Here's what it looks like on the 5N.
5n_lenses_08.jpg
PENTAX K20D    TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm F2.8 XR Di    63mm    f/11.0    1.5s    ISO 140

Compared to the Contax 85/1.4
5n_lenses_05.jpg
PENTAX K20D    TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm F2.8 XR Di    55mm    f/11.0    2s    ISO 140

And the CV21/4
5n_lenses_04.jpg
PENTAX K20D    TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm F2.8 XR Di    55mm    f/11.0    2s    ISO 140

I knew it would be small for a 90mm lens but when I got it unwrapped I was a little stunned at how small it actually is. I wnated to take it outside and use it, but as fate would have it it started raining just after I signed for it. So, I grabbed a quick shot of a Christmas ornament for you with the promise that I'll post up more shots when the weather clears.

xmas121219_01.jpg
NEX-5N    M-Rokkor 90    90mm    f/4.0    25s    ISO 100

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
That must be as rare as ducks teeth! Congrats! :)

Thanks, and not as much as you'd think. Got this one at a good price, it included a CP and a UV filter and original rubber hood. No front cap though so I need to do that.

Deadbear77

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Kevin
synuryry.jpg
   ---            

Here ya go, ducks teeth shot with minolta 1.7 50mm

Cropped

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Wow it looks like one of those c-mount lenses, nice!

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
Random notes and observations.

1) To achieve critical focus with this lens I have to turn focus peaking off and use full magnification when shooting wide open.

2) This lens does not like the Skylight filter I'm using until I can get a lens cap. Doesn't like it. At. all.

3) Shooting through the office window is not a good idea. I thought I was losing my mind as I tried to focus on the transformer across the street until it dawned on me that if it didn't like the Skylight filter it probably really didn't like window glass. It's twue, it's twue!

4) I may have to pick up a regular M mount to NEX adapter. This lens has demonstrated that there is some slop in the mechanism of the helicoid adapter. Doesn't seem to affect anything, but it's just weird.

5) Speaking of which, the minimum focus distance doesn't change much for this lens using the helicoid. Min focus is about 33 inches to the front of the lens. Using the helicoid that drops to about 24 inches. Would have thought it would be better.

6) This sucker is pretty sharp wide open if I do my part.

Anybody wanna buy a Contax 85/1.4? :cool:

RalllyFan

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Tom
Random notes and observations.

1) To achieve critical focus with this lens I have to turn focus peaking off and use full magnification when shooting wide open.

2) This lens does not like the Skylight filter I'm using until I can get a lens cap. Doesn't like it. At. all.

3) Shooting through the office window is not a good idea. I thought I was losing my mind as I tried to focus on the transformer across the street until it dawned on me that if it didn't like the Skylight filter it probably really didn't like window glass. It's twue, it's twue!

I have the Leica version, though a bit older (1956). While I haven't given it a proper workout yet, I find these three things hold true for mine as well. Mine came with a skylight filter, a Leica to boot. Must have something to do with the age of the filter and the digital sensor? Got me.

I'd also like to add to the list (as I think yours is all metal, too): Very tough to handle when it's very cold out. Still works beautifully, it just becomes cold as ice and tough on the fingers!

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
I have the Leica version, though a bit older (1956). While I haven't given it a proper workout yet, I find these three things hold true for mine as well. Mine came with a skylight filter, a Leica to boot. Must have something to do with the age of the filter and the digital sensor? Got me.

I'd also like to add to the list (as I think yours is all metal, too): Very tough to handle when it's very cold out. Still works beautifully, it just becomes cold as ice and tough on the fingers!

The filter thing isn't unusual with digital sensors, it's fairly well documented, but some of the older MF lenses don't seem to be bothered by it. No real issue to be as I only use them when I'm near water mist or blowing dirt/sand anyway. Just sort of surprised me with this lens.

Yep, it's all metal and yep, it gets cold pretty quickly. Then again all the CV lenses I have are the same way you just notice it less because you focus using the tab instead of a focus ring.

Latest threads

Top Bottom