1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

M-Rokkor 90mm f/4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Bimjo, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, listening to you guys talk about and display images from the Minolta Rokkor lenses I figured I needed to get in on the act as well. I didn't want to use slr lenses though, so I looked and found a copy of the M-Rokkor 90/4 originally co-designed by Minolta (M-Rokkor) and Leica (Elmar C) for the Minolta CL and various Leica rangefinder cameras. Minolta subsequently redesigned the lens for use on its CLE rangefinder camera.

Here's what it looks like on the 5N.
    5n_lenses_08.

Compared to the Contax 85/1.4
    5n_lenses_05.

And the CV21/4
    5n_lenses_04.

I knew it would be small for a 90mm lens but when I got it unwrapped I was a little stunned at how small it actually is. I wnated to take it outside and use it, but as fate would have it it started raining just after I signed for it. So, I grabbed a quick shot of a Christmas ornament for you with the promise that I'll post up more shots when the weather clears.

xmas121219_01.

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    That must be as rare as ducks teeth! Congrats! :)

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks, and not as much as you'd think. Got this one at a good price, it included a CP and a UV filter and original rubber hood. No front cap though so I need to do that.

4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    synuryry.

Here ya go, ducks teeth shot with minolta 1.7 50mm

Cropped

5. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Wow it looks like one of those c-mount lenses, nice!

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looking great!

7. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Hahahahahahaha!

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That's what I hate about this forum- nooooooooobody has a sense of humor. LOL

Nice one DB. ;)

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Random notes and observations.

1) To achieve critical focus with this lens I have to turn focus peaking off and use full magnification when shooting wide open.

2) This lens does not like the Skylight filter I'm using until I can get a lens cap. Doesn't like it. At. all.

3) Shooting through the office window is not a good idea. I thought I was losing my mind as I tried to focus on the transformer across the street until it dawned on me that if it didn't like the Skylight filter it probably really didn't like window glass. It's twue, it's twue!

4) I may have to pick up a regular M mount to NEX adapter. This lens has demonstrated that there is some slop in the mechanism of the helicoid adapter. Doesn't seem to affect anything, but it's just weird.

5) Speaking of which, the minimum focus distance doesn't change much for this lens using the helicoid. Min focus is about 33 inches to the front of the lens. Using the helicoid that drops to about 24 inches. Would have thought it would be better.

6) This sucker is pretty sharp wide open if I do my part.

Anybody wanna buy a Contax 85/1.4? :cool:

10. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    I have the Leica version, though a bit older (1956). While I haven't given it a proper workout yet, I find these three things hold true for mine as well. Mine came with a skylight filter, a Leica to boot. Must have something to do with the age of the filter and the digital sensor? Got me.

I'd also like to add to the list (as I think yours is all metal, too): Very tough to handle when it's very cold out. Still works beautifully, it just becomes cold as ice and tough on the fingers!

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    The filter thing isn't unusual with digital sensors, it's fairly well documented, but some of the older MF lenses don't seem to be bothered by it. No real issue to be as I only use them when I'm near water mist or blowing dirt/sand anyway. Just sort of surprised me with this lens.

Yep, it's all metal and yep, it gets cold pretty quickly. Then again all the CV lenses I have are the same way you just notice it less because you focus using the tab instead of a focus ring.