1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

M mount or native E-Mount?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Xterra, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Xterra

Xterra TalkEmount Regular

Feb 8, 2016
    Strasbourg, France
    David
    Been going back and forth for the Voigtländer 15mm III f/4.5
    Wait for the native E-Mount (have EXIF data and electronic distance scale) a bit lighter and smaller
    OR
    Get the Voigtländer M-mount now with adapter (which one? Metabones Novoflex??? )
    =cheaper? depends on adapter and the deal of the lens
    no EXIF ; no electronic distance scale in camera, would be a bit larger and bit heavier
    But perhaps I would be more flexible in the future if a different camera manufacturer one day surpasses Sony I could ALWAYS use the M mount with another adapter
    Also could use the adapter for other M-mount MF glass in the future if I want another lens.... just get then the other M mount again? Is M-mount popular? Heck its been around since 1954!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  2. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    I have the M mount and a cheap $10 adaptor. Also bought a cheap helicoid with which focus distance is now almost 0, can nearly touch the front element against an object and still have focus. As for size it looks to be the E mount version has increased in size, at the very least it is fatter through the middle, its 12mm longer and around 50 grams heavier, (makes sense to fit the electronics and set the registration distance). Once mounted to the camera they with both be a tiny package and the differences in size will be negligible, M mount adaptors a very small.

For me it would come down to cost and how much you value EXIF. I can live without as I know the focal length so all there is to gain is aperture value. Most of the time with the 15 I'm at f11 but rarely for past f8-f16 and honestly once the photo is done I don't look back. Here in Oz the price different is $300 but I got mine used making the difference closer to $500. For that I could add the 40mm f1.4 :) or as I did, the Zeiss 35 f2.8 for $550 on sale.

The Voigtlander 15mm III is a magnificent lens that is a perfect size, looks and feels great on the A7 cameras. I'm sure either one you get you'll really enjoy it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Xterra

Feb 8, 2016
    Strasbourg, France
    David
    I found my solution: The VM mount & Adapter opens the door to a whole world of Voigtländer and M-mount Leica lenses. Heck the M-mount is been around since 1954!
    I can use Sony's Lens correction app to add my EXIF data Lens Compensation | PlayMemories Camera Apps
    Or later in LR use this plugin, which works extremely well:
    LensTagger Lightroom plugin

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Nice, look forward to some images. Thanks for the heads up on the LensTagger plugin as well. I just gave it a try and works great.

5. Xterra

Feb 8, 2016
    Strasbourg, France
    David
  6. Xterra

Feb 8, 2016
    Strasbourg, France
    David
    photos are now up from a day in Burlington VT: A Day on Church Street in Burlington, VT ; US

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pixl10

Pixl10 TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2013
    Which close focus adapter would you recommend? This is my first manual focus lens I've ordered and totally confused on the adapter!
    Any recommendations?
    Thanks