1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Luminous

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Poki, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Took a walk this morning, mainly to play a little with the 50mm Touit and macros. But during a completely overcast sunrise I stumbled across this beautiful tree, so I just had to go for it and shoot the next image in my "alone in the dark"-series.

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/14780920257" title="Luminous by Hannes Brecher, on Flickr"> 14780920257_ec0eed9f3d_b. "1024" height="683" alt="Luminous"></a>

How do you like it? As always critique and comments wished-for.

• Like Like x 5
  2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Very cool, kinda creepy.

It has a cinematic kind of look to it. I wonder if you cropped it 16:9 you could probably enhance that cinematic vibe.

But the stark white space does add to the creepiness.

3. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Thanks for the tip. I tried a 16:9 crop, but found it didn't work as well. But you know, I love negative space, so maybe that's just one of my quirks.

4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah I love negative space too.

I think negative space is especially effective when you see the photo really big. On a big print or large monitor.

I think the reason I have a bias for 16:9 is it works well if you are looking at it on a smartphone. Most of my friends are probably just using a smartphone to look at anything I share. Sad but true.

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    True, my iPhone 5 zooms the photo to 16:9 by default too, so it's a bonus that it looks good too, then.

Still, in the end I don't shoot for others, I shoot for myself. So I don't care how good it looks on person X's screen - especially if he or she uses a phone to look at photos.

6. Raziel

Raziel TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2014
    Awesome..reminds me of Limbo

• Like Like x 1