Luminous Landscape NEX-7 First Impressions Review - Zeiss 24mm & Leica 24mm Compared

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011

The Luminous Landscape has published a "First Impressions" review of the Sony NEX-7. One of the most interesting parts of the review is a comparison between the new Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 lens and the Leica 24mm Summilux ($6500) with each mounted on the 24MP NEX-7. Based on the test results, my first reaction was to suspect misfocus with the Summilux, because a lack of custom microlenses doesn't explain the awful center performance of the Leica, which only becomes sharp at f/11. On the other hand, Reichmann is an experienced reviewer, so he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Link: Sony NEX-7 First Impressions at The Luminous Landscape via 1001 Noisy Cameras
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2011
    The more I think about NEX-7, the more it looks like my NEXt camera :)
  3. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    I pre-ordered the NEX-7 fairly soon after it was announced, but I told myself I wasn't going to pre-order that "overpriced" Zeiss 24mm lens ... but I gave into temptation and pre-ordered it last week when there was a deal on Amazon for $50 off the price of the Zeiss. The more sample images I see from the NEX-7 and Zeiss 24mm the more I'm glad I've pre-ordered both.
  4. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    I've already discussed this another thread, but, like you Amin, I'm having a hard time believing that the Summilux performs that poorly on the NEX-7.
  5. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    Mr. Reichmann has indicated he is going to rerun the test of the Summilux on the NEX-7 based on feedback that many people can't believe that particular lens would perform so badly on that body.
  6. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Interesting review. I wish they had put all the external controls on the NEX5n as well.