Luminar 4

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
So I got my preordered Luminar 4 today. I've been playing around with it for about an hour.

First impressions - it's a great image editor, but moving over to it from the Lightroom/Photoshop dyad is kind of...brain taxing?

Well, everyone seems to talking about AI Sky Replacement, and it does have it's place. It doesn't seem to handle clouds reflecting on water very well. But...there's this:

Lum4AISkyReplacement.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That one blew my mind.

I'm going to retire for the evening. I will be playing with Luminar 4, and will let you guys know what I think as I go.

Last edited:

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Is it recovering the sky present in the image, or actually replacing it? If replacing, can you pick from a gallery of skies or how does that work?

MWhite

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
As I understand it, you can do either, i.e., recover the sky or replace it (with stock skies OR your own). It is impressive software, although I've had to dial back some of the adjustments that the stock "looks" apply. The really impressive stuff, so far anyway, is how well and how quickly it does portrait retouching. No plastic skin! I was not one of the earliest purchasers, so I only got my copy yesterday. I may like it more or less after I've had it longer.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
You can do either "AI Sky Enhance", which basically plays with highlights, shadows, contrast etc in the sky you have, or you can "AI Sky Replacement", where you can either pick from an included gallery of skies, or pick your own skies. Images of the sky to use in the gallery are going to become a big thing. Luckily I've been taking pictures of just the sky for four years.

It does a good job of putting the sky behind any foreground objects, not so good with reflections of the sky in water.

I replaced the sky in this image with one of the included skies. The background in this pic always disappointed me. Note: it even changed the lighting on the front of the hawk to match! But it got confused with the cloud and the little branch, at the top.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom