Luminar 2018

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by WoodWorks, Nov 17, 2017.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    After messing around with their pre-release version, and liking what I saw, yesterday I bought the official release right after it became available. So I've only had a little more than a day to watch some of their tutorials, read the pdf user guide, and try it out on a few old raw files:

26696539259_5d65f3029e_b.
    Mt. Shasta
    by David Wood, on Flickr

26692957119_2e8d73a637_b.
    Bandon, OR
    by David Wood, on Flickr

So far I am very impressed with this software. Even though it's different than Lightroom in many ways, its interface seems intuitive to me, and I had no trouble navigating my way around and achieving the results I wanted. And when I compared the workflow of Luminar vs. Lightroom, I not only was able to work faster, but I liked the results a little more.

There are some missing pieces still; no lens profiles, no DAM (coming next year, they claim), no one-click CA correction, but do they have batch processing, and so many develop options (filters) that it's hard to think of anything I can't do in Luminar that I can do now in Lightroom.

When they release their DAM next year, I can easily see myself ditching Lightroom.

BTW, I've tried Capture One and didn't grok the interface at all. I know many love it, but my brain must work differently.

Anyway, if you're curious, they have a trial version available, and some great tutorials. I'm sold.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    MacPhun makes great software. I've been using Tonality CC for BW for years. I'm a C1P user (and the UI doesn't bother me) but once Luminar has a DAM I'll definitely give it a closer look.

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Do you happen to know if it has the "channel mixing" feature like GIMP or Photoshop?

UPDATE:
    Found this feature list...it does have channel mixer.

Luminar 2018 for Mac vs Luminar 2018 for PC Comparison | Macphun

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Oh completely agree, and no hurry on my part...any new software is always loaded with bugs the first 6-12 months...no interest in even considering it until next year, if then...and besides, I really need to bite the bullet and replace this old laptop first
    :)

6. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Update for Mac users out today, fixes several problems I was having - most seriously, not saving DNG or PSD files. The RAW development is said to be improved as well. Welcome changes. I still feel the sliders are too "laggy" though - you can't see the changes (e.g. reducing highlights) as you slide. You have to move - wait - move again - wait again ...etc.

I have converted a couple of my most-used LR Develop Presets into LUT files and uploaded these to Luminar 2018. That process worked fine; only the color grading features actually carryover of course, not things like sharpening and noise reduction. Here's a screenshot, LR is the DNG and Luminar is the TIFF. No-one agrees what "white" is lol.

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 2.53.58 PM.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Personally, I like the Luminar version. Colours appear more natural IMHO
    The other is too yellow for my liking.

I'm still happy with Adobe CC and messing around in On1 RAW 2018, but the Luminar does look impressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, thanks to 'Black Friday' I found the robust Thinkpad P51 configuration I was wanting for $300 off the normal price and have it on its way. So in 2018, my photography mistakes will become even more apparent and a lot faster too :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. darosk

darosk New to TalkEmount

Sep 26, 2015
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Very interesting, hadn't heard of luminar prior to this. Was looking into C1 as the UI is mostly similar to LR. Will give these trials a spin when I get the opportunity to.

10. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Mike,
    Yes I agree. I'm still adjusting things in LR after I had my A7R modified for the Kolari thin filter; it renders AWB useless (daylight shows up in LR at about 3600K with Tint of -45) but I knew that going in - I have to set a custom WB each outing. Here's the full LR shot after I corrected the WB manually by eye.

corrected WB-1.

Peter

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1