1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Luminar 2018

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by WoodWorks, Nov 17, 2017.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    After messing around with their pre-release version, and liking what I saw, yesterday I bought the official release right after it became available. So I've only had a little more than a day to watch some of their tutorials, read the pdf user guide, and try it out on a few old raw files:

26696539259_5d65f3029e_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mt. Shasta by David Wood, on Flickr

26692957119_2e8d73a637_b.jpg

Bandon, OR by David Wood, on Flickr

So far I am very impressed with this software. Even though it's different than Lightroom in many ways, its interface seems intuitive to me, and I had no trouble navigating my way around and achieving the results I wanted. And when I compared the workflow of Luminar vs. Lightroom, I not only was able to work faster, but I liked the results a little more.

There are some missing pieces still; no lens profiles, no DAM (coming next year, they claim), no one-click CA correction, but do they have batch processing, and so many develop options (filters) that it's hard to think of anything I can't do in Luminar that I can do now in Lightroom.

When they release their DAM next year, I can easily see myself ditching Lightroom.

BTW, I've tried Capture One and didn't grok the interface at all. I know many love it, but my brain must work differently.

Anyway, if you're curious, they have a trial version available, and some great tutorials. I'm sold.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. kevistopheles

kevistopheles TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    MacPhun makes great software. I've been using Tonality CC for BW for years. I'm a C1P user (and the UI doesn't bother me) but once Luminar has a DAM I'll definitely give it a closer look.

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Legend

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Oh completely agree, and no hurry on my part...any new software is always loaded with bugs the first 6-12 months...no interest in even considering it until next year, if then...and besides, I really need to bite the bullet and replace this old laptop first
    :) 

6. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 4, 2015
    Update for Mac users out today, fixes several problems I was having - most seriously, not saving DNG or PSD files. The RAW development is said to be improved as well. Welcome changes. I still feel the sliders are too "laggy" though - you can't see the changes (e.g. reducing highlights) as you slide. You have to move - wait - move again - wait again ...etc.

I have converted a couple of my most-used LR Develop Presets into LUT files and uploaded these to Luminar 2018. That process worked fine; only the color grading features actually carryover of course, not things like sharpening and noise reduction. Here's a screenshot, LR is the DNG and Luminar is the TIFF. No-one agrees what "white" is lol.

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 2.53.58 PM.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Personally, I like the Luminar version. Colours appear more natural IMHO
    The other is too yellow for my liking.

I'm still happy with Adobe CC and messing around in On1 RAW 2018, but the Luminar does look impressive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, thanks to 'Black Friday' I found the robust Thinkpad P51 configuration I was wanting for $300 off the normal price and have it on its way. So in 2018, my photography mistakes will become even more apparent and a lot faster too :) 

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. darosk

darosk New to TalkEmount

Sep 26, 2015
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Very interesting, hadn't heard of luminar prior to this. Was looking into C1 as the UI is mostly similar to LR. Will give these trials a spin when I get the opportunity to.

10. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    Mike,
    Yes I agree. I'm still adjusting things in LR after I had my A7R modified for the Kolari thin filter; it renders AWB useless (daylight shows up in LR at about 3600K with Tint of -45) but I knew that going in - I have to set a custom WB each outing. Here's the full LR shot after I corrected the WB manually by eye.

corrected WB-1.jpg

Peter

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. DaveC

DaveC TalkEmount Regular

Aug 5, 2017
    As a newbie to processing software I haven't really developed my workflow, or delved too deep into the potential of LR. I purchased LR6 a couple of years ago but really haven't put in the time to get its full potential. With the demise of a stand alone version of LR , and my aversion to subscription based product, I am loath to put in time and effort on what down the track, as equipment is replaced will become an obsolete program. So I have been playing around with Luminar for a couple of weeks, and very quickly got a feel for the basics. Seems to do basic development very quickly and easily, while still allowing quite powerful image control with a bit more time and effort. Only negatives so far from my perspective, having to open each image individually, and it's more difficult to add a watermark to your product. Otherwise no complaints, and there are several things such as merging images which I have been able to achieve without even resorting to the tutorials, which I have found to be quite good, although sometimes difficult to find exactly the topic you are looking for, anyway that's my 5 cents worth. Oh, and at the end of the trial period I went ahead and bought a copy, also worth mentioning that it can be run as a LR plug-in as well as stand alone.

12. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I have been using Luminar's sister, Aurora HDR, for a couple of years now. I downloaded a trial of Luminar and played with for a couple of weeks and decided it did not add much benefit over what I already had. It looked like the interface is extremely similar in Luminar and Aurora HDR. So far, I have been highly pleased with Skylum (I think that is their new company name) software.

13. mstphoto

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    My main software package is Adobe CC.
    It suits my needs perfectly.
    I also have On1 RAW 2018 (won this in an online Christmas raffle a few years ago and have kept it up to date), Luminar 2018 (I use one of my mates licences ;)  ) and Affinity bought in a Microsoft sale for a pittance.
    All have their strengths and weaknesses.
    We are spoiled for choice these days and if you dedicate time and effort to your specific choice of program, your workflow will soon take shape

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    Yep, with the new Adobe release that includes better Profiles, among other improvements, the Empire really did Strike Back. The one critical piece of Luminar 2018 that's missing is a digital asset manager (DAM, or "Library" in Lightroom). They keep promising this...

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, that still missing DAM is now all that keeps Lightroom from getting the boot. But yesterday’s update brought some nice interface improvements and a noticeable speed increase, which comes in real handy when wrestling with the A7RII’s 42MB files.

16. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Just stopped using macphun software for a while. I used aurora and noiseless ck and probably did not touch any of them for 2 years. Tried this Luminar and honestly could not stand it. Don’t know why. Found myself using psp more and more without the need of filters. Much more control on my images and I like it.

17. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    That's the one thing I've been really anticipating ever since they announced the new 2018 version of Luminar. I've been using it even without the DAM and loving it for the most part.

And I do think the latest update has made a difference in speed of adjustments. (Of course, adding another 16GB to my 2017 5K iMac probably didn't hurt either. And yes, I, "Mr. Budget", did spring for a nice new 2017 5K 27" Retina iMac last summer... I'd been saving for it for a couple years. There will be no further major purchases for awhile though... more on that later.)

• Like Like x 3
  18. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    OK...figured it was time to try Luminar.
    Went to their site, gave them my email and requested the free Trial.
    Received an Email from them and then downloaded the .exe file for the Windows 10 PC version.

Kicked off the .exe file, the little Luminar install program popped up, did its thing, finished, said everything installed successfully, the "Run Luminar" box was checked when I clicked "finish", etc.

BUT:
    No Luminar shortcut on the 'desktop'.
    No Luminar addition to the start menu in Windows 10.
    Luminar is not listed as installed in the Windows 10 programs & Features list in the Control Panel.

So I went through the whole process a second time, even rebooted my PC after the second install attempt in case that was needed.
    No Help...can't find or launch Luminar.

Thought I'd check with the brain trust here for anything obvious I'm overlooking.

19. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    From what I read just now, Macphun has a history of installers not working well with some antivirus/antimalware software. Temporarily disable it before running the install and see if that works.

20. mstphoto

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Works ok and shows up on my Win 10 laptop

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.