1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lumenzia

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by robbie36, May 27, 2015.

1. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I am not in the habit of plugging software but I have found this so useful since I bought it a couple of months ago that I felt I should. I use it on practically every image I process in Photoshop.

What is it? It is an 'extension panel' for PS (CS5 and above) (I have only used it with CC). It is a panel that creates luminosity masks and also helps you use them. If you are familiar with luminosity masks you will know that while they can be incredibly useful, they are difficult to create and pretty time consuming to use. Often they can be more hassle than they are worth. This extension is incredibly well thought out and put together and really takes out all the donkey work in using luminosity masks.

Most of the relevant information is on this page.

http://gregbenzphotography.com/lumenzia/

It costs US$39.99. Unfortunately, as it is an PS 'extension' there is no 30 day trial.

• Informative Informative x 5
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks for the heads-up! $40 isn't too much of a gamble considering what I have spent on all things photographic.

I've tried using luminosity masks in CS6 briefly and I didn't find it all that difficult to do but I had the impression that it's more or less the same as pulling back the Highlights slider in Lightroom. I'm probably missing something or even all of it, what's your take on this?

3. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    Well 'bringing up the shadows' or 'pulling back the highlights' is an example of one of the things you could do with luminosity masks (and one which is pretty much covered by LR).

It would however, take me far more than a post here to explain all the other things you can do.... but here is a taster....

1) They are very popular to use in HDR photos because you dont end up with halos in high contrast areas. Here is one guy that uses them a lot with some rather klunky actions.

2) Imagine you want to dodge and burn an image - birghtening some of the highlights and burning some of the shadows. You could do it - but it would take you a long time - with the dodge and burn tool. But it is much quicker if your highlights or shadows are already masked (painting white or black on a 50% grey overlay layer). This guy is using that method but without masks, so he is dodging in his shadows as well as burning his highlights.

3) Take this next video. I havent watched it all but I can see he is adding an orange tone to his highlights and mid tones and teal to his shadows. So for any color grading it is incredibly useful.

4) You can use luminosity masks as a simple mask for just isolating one area. Rather like a 'color range' selection in Photoshop you can just create a luminosity selection. Imagine a bright sky with a tall tree in it. Using a graduated neutral density filter will darken the tree and the sky - with luminosity masks you can brighten the tree and darken the sky.

5) Finally the sharpening method he uses - the surface blur method - is really good because it allows you to aggressively sharpen without halos. His method is especially quick (because he takes you in and out of 8 bit).

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Great Rob, thanks for taking the time to enlighten me. I've got some studying to do!

• Like Like x 1
  5. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    Actually I think these 2 videos might be a better illustration. They are done by the author of Lumenzia.

The first video shows him adjusting a landscape using his 'free actions' and luminosity masks...

This was an instructional video dated May 2014

Now seem him make the same adjustments to the same image using Lumenzia (dated Feb 2015)

...as he says... 30 seconds.....

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  6. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014

Lumenzia has progressed enormously over the past year and now has a lot of additional functionality

• Informative Informative x 4
  7. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Noticed that too, rather overwhelming to me, have to study (again).

8. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Looks nice. I am using Raya Pro from Jimmy Mc Intyre.

9. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    It was Jimmy McIntyre's tutorials that introduced me to luminosity masks and I used to have his free actions - I imagine his panel is pretty good.

One I edited today with Lumenzia.

rar (1 of 1).

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    great shot

11. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Have you tried capture one pro 9s new luma curve adjustment tool. Does a great job and can use with selective masks. I like it anyway

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

12. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I was a bit overwhelmed by all the new features but after watching the tutorials and playing with it for an hour I must say that V1.7 is a real step-up, still more ways to tune the image.

13. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I'll probably do my usual thing, which is: hold off another 2 years, then finally get it and wonder how I ever managed without. o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Neat stuff