1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lucked out with a gorgeous "Sunny-16" day here today

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Jun 23, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Went out for groceries late morning and realized it was a “sunny-16” day here…atmosphere was totally clean from rain last night, bright sun & clear blue skies. Put the groceries away, grabbed some gear and headed out into the country.

NEX-7 + Canon FD 28-85/4.0 with a circular polarizer filter, monopod.
    Managed to find a few landscape / cloud arrangements I was pleased with…

COUPLE OF GREEN TOBACCO FIELDS

COUPLE LAKE SHOTS FROM ONE BRIDGE

COUPLE LAKE SHOTS FROM ANOTHER BRIDGE

• Like Like x 6
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That first one has great sky. Nice capture!

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Not sure what a "Sunny-16" day is, but some nice landscape shots.

4. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes, I think the 1st one is the best

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  7. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I agree...first one. :)

8. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
  9. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    • Like Like x 1
  10. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I am using f /16 and it works very good :)

11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Not only that, but f/16 is, I believe, well into the diffraction zone for many lenses on an APS-C camera.

12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Its funny how threads ebb & flow...I simply used the time honored expression "sunny-16" to describe the beautiful clear, bright sunny day it seemed to be...in reality, most sayings like that are really just rules-of-thumb as starting points...(kind of like "F8 and don't be late").

But I'll play...how would sensor size change the intent & purpose of such a well established rule-of-thumb ?

I haven't seen / read anything about any shutter speed / aperture / ISO setting offsets I am supposed to be using on my NEX-7 compared to film days using my Canon A1's and FD lenses...just because it has a larger sensor.

Seems to me if sensor size causes an offset to the "sunny-16" rule...then it would follow that sensor size would routinely cause an offset to all selections of shutter / aperture / ISO...not just those related to the "sunny-16" rule-of-thumb.

13. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    +

Well sensor size matters because many camera lens combinations won't even allow you to go to F16 because of diffraction. My Canon SX 50 wont even accept an aperture above F8. and on most APS-C, diffraction sets in well before F16. Also on digital camera's the ISO settings vary from camera to camera, so it's not like the same film is being used in different cameras. In digital cameras, the sensitivity doesn't change, the amplification of the signal does. Manufacturers will use different algorithms for metering. This is the reason DXO reports on their own ISO measurements vs what the camera reports.

For the record. Roundball, you are far more experienced than I am, so if I am missing something, please feel free to correct me. I am merely parroting what I've read as I grasp this photography thing. I asked the question because I really didn't understand how the rule applied in the digital age. I wasn't trying to counter anything you said. I figured the responses would help me.

14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    First off, sorry to the original poster for detouring this thread, but it is fascinating stuff.

As a fairly new photographer who has never taken a class, I find this stuff fascinating.

As cameras have become more and more automated, many simply have no need/desire to learn this stuff.

However as one who desires to push beyond the automatic modes, I want to learn more.

15. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Oh I don't care that the thread went in this direction...was just making the observation...and I wasnt challenging anyones comments.
    The issue of possible variations in different manufacturers ISO actuals, is a separate discussion.
    My interest is in finding a link or something to an official source that answers this question I posed above:

".....I haven't seen / read anything about any shutter speed / aperture / ISO setting offsets I am supposed to be using on my NEX-7 compared to film days using my Canon A1's and FD lenses...just because it has a larger sensor.
    Seems to me if sensor size causes an offset to the "sunny-16" rule...then it would follow that sensor size would routinely cause an offset to all selections of shutter / aperture / ISO...not just those related to the "sunny-16" rule-of-thumb....."

I often use 11, 16, 22 on my Canon FD lenses with my NEX-7 ( as I did for the landscape shots above) and haven't noticed anything unusual...maybe there's a problem there and I'm just oblivious to it?
    What does diffraction look like? Is it in my photos above?
    Seems like there should be an official source somewhere that addresses / answers the question I posed...

16. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Basically "safe" shutter speed depends about field of view so shutter speed<1/mm doesn't work anymore (in practice it is enough but time should be divided by 1.5).

Diffraction does reduce resolution somewhat but it isn't too big a problem for me either.

17. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    My apologies for my ignorance, but I don't have a clue what the statement in red means.

18. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    In the old days with film the rule was to keep shutter speed faster than inverse of focal length. 50mm 1/60s or faster, 28mm 1/30 s or faster etc.. Now it should be 50mm 1/75 or faster and 28mm 1/50 or faster.

19. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I better understand what you're saying...But...two things come to mind:

1) That all doesn't sound like much of a difference...I can't imagine looking at a photo and thinking "yup...that photo should have been taken with 1/75 instead of 1/50"

2) Is this all spelled out in some official Sony documentation somewhere?

20. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It really is about how you handle the image. With a good lens you benefit much more from short exposure time than with poor lens and cropping/enlarging makes movement much more noticeable.

In reality these are only guidelines and old guidelines at that. And no, that is not written in any official documentation.

I think tat something like 1/200 s is pretty good shutter speed for 60mm lens. Slower than that and you start to benefit from a tripod. That depends about magnification and lens of course.