LR Users: are you subscribed to CC?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Jazzer, May 8, 2015.

1. Standalone User and have no intention of subscribing as long as a standalone is available

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Standalone User considering switching to CC

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. CC User

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Now that CC has been around for awhile, I was wondering what the breakdown of CC to standalone product users is here. I had LR 5 and decided to trial CC (30 days to cancel) because of a deal Amazon was running yesterday. I hated the idea of a subscription service and worry about future price increases, but since I don't have Photoshop, wanted to try out the mobile functions on my commute and the price is reasonable, I decided I would try it out -- So I voted that I am a standalone user considering subscribing.

What are others doing?

2. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Thought about it, but nope. I've only been using LR as a RAW developer/TIF converter if the highlights need a helping hand where it excels but generally prefer software products without unnerving import routines and catalogue dictates.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    So far I get by with Lightroom 6, Photoshop CS6 and the recently acquired free Perfect Effects 9.5 which replaces Photoshop in part. I will switch to CC as soon as Lightroom won't be available as a stand-alone program or when I really need the new version of Photoshop (which is unlikely to happen anytime soon).

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Thanks. I was sorry I missed the free perfect effects offer. I had been looking at suite (which is on sale), but wasn't sure if it would just be a duplicate of the NIK software that I acquired for free last year as part of a deal, but have yet to really delve into. That is a concern with Photoshop as well. It's nice to have, but the learning curve is steep and the time is limited :).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    With my CC subscription I get Lightroom, Photoshop and other bits and bobs for A$9.99 a month. I'm comfortable with that. Lightroom is the one I make most use of. Photoshop was selected more for work purposes but I could/should make more use of it for some for my photography I guess. Like Jazzer says it is a learning curve and time involved consideration.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I only recently got Lightroom...am not / probably won't ever be a "power user" of it...and speaking only for myself, there were two main reasons why I went stand-alone:

#1)
    I asked / understood that going the CC route meant all my photo files and associated activity on them would be done at / stored at an Adobe site / totally under control of Adobe...not locally on my PC, under "my" total control, as is the case with the stand-alone product...this aspect was reason enough for me not to go the CC route. Plus, I don't like being under someone elses thumb with no direct control over my things...and definitely don't like the intrusive / manipulative interaction / interface such companies usually exhibit...same with Google, RealPlayer, etc.

#2)
    Doing the math, buying the product outright would be less expensive in the long run than paying monthly fees forever...which most certainly will incrementally go up like everything does in those kinds of situations.

Those are just my personal viewpoints, others mileage may vary.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  7. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    If you happen to be a user of Photoshop's full capabilities, the photography plan at US$9.99 a month is a great deal - I would happily pay double (and did so when the initial deal was US$19.99 for a single app). If you are the sort of user that goes into PS for a bit of content aware fill and that is about it, it isnt such a good deal but then again the program is massive overkill for that sort of thing.

PS CC has got a bad rap for a number of misconceptions along the lines that 1) it cant be used if you are offline 2) all your work must be stored in the cloud 3) if you stop paying you wont be able to open any of your files. All this is nonsense.

Getting back to Lightroom. Lightroom standalone users do not get access to Lightroom mobile which I suspect some people find pretty irritating. I can, however, assure them that LR mobile is total rubbish and that they are missing out on absolutely nothing apart from several hours of working out that it is totally rubbish. There are plenty of decent apps for both Android and ios to accomplish what LR mobile does an incredibly bad job of doing. 'LR mobile is simply fantastic' is something that noone has said - ever.

The learning curves between LR and PS are totally different. It takes 2 days to learn LR and roughly one year to learn PS. Of course 90% of people dont have the time or the inclination to put in that effort. LR combined with a plugin suite such as Nik software is a pretty compelling combination for those who want to get great results without putting in an unreasonable amount of time in a learning curve.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    #1 This is totally not true. Nothing is stored at Adobe unless you want it to be stored to take advantage of cloud features.

#2 I agree if you only use lightroom like you do. No real value in CC. However, Photoshop was a $400+ (before CC) software package and LR is $100. It would take you over 4 years at 9.99 per month to reach that amount. You would also be stuck with 4 year old software versus state of the art software. So I would say this one depends.

9. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I appreciate all of the comments. As a fairy casual user myself, I have a feeling I might wind ultimately wind up buying LR 6 perpetual )or whatever people are calling the standalone version) and not sticking with CC. My guess is with LR, the NIK software and Pixelmator (all of which I already own), I probably won't find much of a need for Photoshop for what I do. And if LR mobile really is fairly useless as rubble has suggested, there won't be any great benefit for going with CC for me. But in terms of cost to me, it is a wash provided that LR 7 comes out in a year and I plan to upgrade to that.

In that regard, does anyone know if it would be possible to use CC for a year and then (assuming there is a LR 7 standalone version) switch back? Or would there possibly be some catalog issue that would cause a problem?

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    General information:
    I went to some length to make my reply clear...based upon the OP’s question that seemed oriented to ‘Lightroom’...not "all things Adobe".
    And I answered in that context...without regards to costs or considerations of any other software packages that the OP did not ask about...ie: my intent was to reply in an apples to apples context, not an apples to oranges context, LOL.

And in that specific regard, statements like the one below were pointed out to me as potential lock-in control issues if I went with CC to get Lightroom vs. standalone Lightroom. The whole tone of it smelled to me so I didn't go that route.

< snip >

Can I access my images in Lightroom on desktop after my membership ends?

Lightroom on desktop will continue to launch and allow access to your files after your membership ends. However, the Develop and Map modules are disabled. Also, after your membership ends, synchronization with Lightroom on mobile devices will no longer function.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/faq.html

11. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    There wont be a compatibility issue between CC and LR7 but that might not really answer your question. There has to be a fair possibility that LR6 will be the last stand alone version of LR. It is pretty clear that Adobe has very little interest in selling you standalone versions of LR - just try to find LR6 standalone on their website and is pretty much entirely focused on making LR a gateway drug into PS.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Yes, that certainly seems to be the case. If I knew it to be true, I would just stick with CC now, but of course they aren't going to tell anybody that. They just play "hide the ball" by removing the upgrade version from stores and making it hard to find on their own website as well. In a year, we'll see. I would switch to something else, but I like LR and haven't found anything else I like better yet.

13. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    I have LR5 as a standalone but subscribed to CC before LR6 came out as I wanted photoshop. For the cost CS6 as a standalone in Oz about $600+ and LR6 $190 or $99 for upgrade from LR5 I get about 7-8 years subscription to CC. Good value in my book especially given there will no doubt be updates in that time that, if on a standalone deal would cost me even more. Since LR6 came out I have been using Lightroom CC seeing as I'm paying for it anyway.

I don't know where all these rumours and paranoia of Adobe taking control of everything through CC comes from but for me Lightroom CC works on my computer exactly the same as LR5 did. All original and edited files stored on external hard drives and only the edited layers are on CC. I can even share library's with full edits between CC and LR5 so if I no longer want to be part of CC I'll just transfer the library to LR5 or 6 or whatever version before my subscription ends, no problems.

14. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    QUESTION:
    You're about to become a 1st time user of Lightroom.
    You decide to go the CC route instead of stand-alone.
    At some point you decide to discontinue the CC subscription.
    You do not own / have a stand-alone version of Lighroom to fall back on.
    Adobe isn't going to just give you a stand-alone version of Lightroom.

What happens to all the photos / files / data previously built under CC?
    How can the photos / data be accessed without a CC subscription?

15. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    1) As I understand things, even if you stop subscription parts of Lightroom will still work. In particular, the Library module but not the develop module.
    2) All your data - photos and files - will normally be stored on your computer (and hopefully a backup). These are typically raw files, jpegs, tiffs, psds and psbs. There are a whole host of programs that can read these files (many of them free) - there is more limited support for PSD and PSB outside of Adobe products. Obviously if you keep your photos stored with Adobe in the cloud, then you stop paying Adobe, you will no longer have access to the files but this would be an incredibly stupid thing to do in the first place.

16. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    My scenario question was not talking about people like you who already had a copy of the Lightroom product...it was specifically about a new customer who does not have Lightroom installed on their PC...they went with Pure CC.

17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    No one on this planet has more loathing than I do for Adobe's CC scheme. But that is because Adobe Illustrator, unlike Lightroom and Photoshop, is a closed, proprietary program, and once I succumb to Adobe's hostageware scheme, all of the files I create in Illustrator are beyond reach to me if I stop paying rent, even though they still reside on my computer. I can no longer access them because I can no longer use Illustrator. And the way in which I have made my living for the past 25 years is finished. Done. I can't even get access to any already completed work. I can't even open the files. Adobe owns me.

But that is not true for Lightroom nor Photoshop. Yes, it's true that all of the post-processing you have done to your photos will no longer be there. But the original raw or jpeg files will still be available to you, untouched and ready to process, just as they came out of your camera. So there's no reason (for now) to be afraid of caving in to Adobe's subscription model for Lightroom nor for Photoshop. Your files are and will be safe and accessible.

For now.

But given the example that my situation provides, and the situation that Adobe seems perfectly sanguine about putting me into, is this really a company in which you want to put any trust at all?

18. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    When you subscribe to CC you download the programs onto your computer. So like I said, I believe that if you stop subscribing to Lightroom CC, parts of it will still work (such as the library module). Incidentally, the only version of Lightroom I have on my computer is Lightroom CC. I think you are under the misunderstanding that the Lightroom CC program is somewhere up in the 'cloud'.

19. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    With pure CC, what would anyone have installed on their PC to provide for an organized Pseudo Lightroom environment for files to load into...and then continue to be on the PC after a new LR user discontinued CC?

But your closing comments are really the main point of it all...it's become obvious that these corporations view "the cloud" as a huge gold mine to get people hooked into for the long term future...and as I am always careful to say in such posts: "speaking only for myself", I want no part of it...others can do as they please of course.

20. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    As others have mentioned, with Lightroom CC the Library module resides on your PC and will still be there (with all of your raw or jpeg files) should you decide to stop paying rent to Adobe.