LR Sharpening Settings, Coming From Fuji X

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by JasonAllison76, Oct 12, 2015.

1. JasonAllison76

JasonAllison76 New to TalkEmount

Oct 12, 2015
    Westchester, NY
    Hi all. I just switched from a Fuji X series crop sensor to an A7, and I was hoping someone here could help me out with a good starting point for sharpening settings in LR. We all know about the issues Adobe had rendering the X-Trans sensor, and for the last year I've been using settings Peter Bridgewood describes here:

After having used that process for so long (and being an amateur who's learning as he goes), I'm not sure if I'm getting the best results out of my Sony. If someone could help me by providing a good starting point for getting the best out of the A7, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Looking forward to learning a lot from everyone here!
  2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    The best trick I learned with regards to sharpening is to hold down the Alt key / Option on a Mac and slide up the masking slider.

This turns your image black and white, where white represents what will be sharpened and the black represents areas in the image that won't be sharpened.

Very handy. You typically want to increase masking until things that shouldn't have detail (like blue sky) go black. This prevents you from sharpening areas that don't need it and basically just sharpening up noise.

I typically do masking first, because the more you increase the masking, the more sharpening "Amount" you can get away with before it looks unanatural.

I dial up "Amount" until it just starts to look a little weird, then dial it back till it doesn't any more.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. seer_claw

seer_claw TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 18, 2015
    Calgary, AB
    Great tip, that really makes things easy.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1