Loxia 50mm f/2 vs. Sonnar 55mm f/1.8 vs. Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art Comparison

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by ilovehatephotography, Mar 31, 2015.

1. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Hi everyone. After we did the Loxia 35mm f/2 vs. Sonnar 35mm f/2.8 comparison a few weeks ago and thanks to your amazing feedback, we developed a relationship with Zeiss USA to test more of their products (super nice people by the way, based out of Thornwood, NY). Anyways, they loaned us a Loxia 50mm f/2 Planar and we tested it against the Zeiss/Sony 55mm f/1.8 and a rented Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art this past weekend. I'd thought I'd share some photos from the Loxia here again. Full in-depth comparison is here http://ilovehatephoto.com/2015/03/3...5mm-f1-8-vs-loxia-50mm-f2-vs-sigma-50mm-f1-4/

bDSC08516-5.
    We went to the LA County Arboretum and found out hundreds of peacocks just running around. Coolest park I've been to.

bDSC09043-3.
    We used this white brick wall with a Banksy stencil as our vignetting test. The Loxia had very well controlled vignetting.
    bDSC08785.
    Took the lenses to Disneyland for our handling test. We totally forgot it was Spring Break. Crazy crowds! The Loxia's MF was so easy to use, while the Sigma's 810g weight was unbearable.

loxia-50-build-quality-744x460.
    Again, the Loxia 50mm was weather sealed and the craftsmanship & design was just stellar.

Hope you guys like the photos and the review! As always, we are posting it here first. You guys get first dibs because iLHP started out from these forums. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks for the nice comparison and shots. Have you notice any color differences between them?

I used the older version of Sigma, that had very nice bokeh, but it was a bigger lens also... Sonnar is a great lens, sometimes a little too contrasty for mid day shooting, eg blowing the highlights easily. Loxia is a nice lens for mf shooters. In Japan it selling around $750. I already have 2 Zeiss planars, I like the Contarex version with 1'~30cm mfd and af w/ Contax g. Both may not as sharp wide open as Loxia but they are cheaper...

• Like Like x 1
  3. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Nice comparison. Gotta love that 55 Sonnar =)

• Like Like x 1
  4. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Honestly, I didn't. I remember when the older Sigma lenses would be much warmer than Canon lenses, but it doesn't seem to be the case here. All three lenses have beautiful contrast and neutral colors. If I had to nitpick, I'd say the Sonnar was slightly cooler than the Loxia or the Sigma. Very slightly.

5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks. I saw that in one of your comparisons of the lenses. Usually Zeiss is the one with cooler colors, interestingly not in this one. Sigma is producing Otus equivalents in both size and IQ. Rokinon is also catching up in some, but they have that old Sigma warmer lens colors...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Quite a nice review, I only just recently got the sonnar myself but haven't had much time to play with it (though initial impressions are very positive). I have read some places that other people have swapped systems or added the Fe system just because of this lens alone. Really like the peacock and the brick wall shot btw :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Thanks very much for sharing! This reaffirms the sense I got from other comparisons: that the Sonnar is the one for me. (I sold the 24mm Sonnar when I went full-frame and had been missing it ever since - something about that sharpness AND smoothness...)

I am however somewhat partial to a slightly shorter focal length and mechanical focus and aperture controls, so I might have to at least try a Loxia eventually.

• Like Like x 1