1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Loxia 50mm f/2 Planar

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by ilovehatephotography, Mar 31, 2015.

1. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Loxia 50mm f/2 Planar vs. Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 Sonnar vs. Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art http://ilovehatephoto.com/2015/03/3...5mm-f1-8-vs-loxia-50mm-f2-vs-sigma-50mm-f1-4/

wwDSC00950.

loxia 50mm f2 build quality.
    Here's some attention to detail. Instead of having a plastic notch to lock the twist-on lens hood in place, they have a steel ball bearing! I feel like a peasant for never having seen this kind of design before.

loxia 50 build quality.
    Blue weather sealing gasket. Nice touch.

ww_loxia-50mm-barrel-length.
    Lens extends a tiny bit at the minimum focusing distance. The end of the lens doesn't turn. CPLs are okay.

Here are some sample photos at Disneyland California Adventures:
    wwDSC08730.

wwDSC08785.

wwDSC08742.

wwDSC08868.

• Like Like x 10
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Great review and I can wholeheartedly agree - all are stunning lenses.

The photo samples are beautiful too; in particular for me, your model portraits on the beach :)

I personally prefer the rendering of the Sonnar to the Sigma without doubt in the context of fine art / portraiture. It's a mini Otus for sure.
    For me, the Loxia has a very different rendering to the other two - it's more cinematic/reportage friendly IMHO.
    I can see a case for actually owning both lenses. One for street shooting and the other for studio, portraiture etc... They just render so differently.

Interestingly the transmission values of these lenses (at least the Sonnar and Sigma Art 50 are closer than their F-stop would suggest).
    The Sonnar F1.8 has a Transmission value of 1.8. The Sigma Art 50 F1.4 has a transmission value of T1.7
    http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sigm...-DG-HSM-A-Canon-versus-Carl-Zeiss-Otus-1.4-55

I find it interesting that the 55mm has more 'pop' than the other two though. It's been noted by some in the FE55 thread that they find the transition from in focus to out of focus too fast. Personally I love this, but I know from Ad and a few others on the FE55 that they do not like this behaviour. For me, it reminds me of the behaviour from good medium format glass in that the transition is very quick but linear across the frame.
    You would be a lot more knowledgable than I would though - do you think that perhaps the Sonnar 55 pop is a result of having a flatter plane of focus than the other two lenses, or is it a case that the additional 5mm translates into a quicker drop off to out of focus relative to say the Sigma Art 50 1.4?? Certainly I've tried my own FD55 1.2 and the Sonnar 1.8 and still do not get the same 'pop' from the FD55. Perhaps it's a part of the Sonnar design?

Finally a small request/suggestion for future reviews - Please could you enable optical corrections/lens profile corrections :) . Lens corrections are as much a part of the lens design as the glass elements themselves. Disabling the corrections only tells a part of the lens performance story as mirrorless lenses are designed with both physical and software corrections in mind. I see it as akin to turning off traction control on a Porsche and determining that it's handling is very unpredictable.

Thanks for your time and all the hard work on your review. :)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  3. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Thank you for your comments again Tom! It always feels good to have peers read our work and enjoy our writing.

The Sonnar 55 pop is a mystery to us, and honestly, we've been trying to get to the bottom of its magical pop. I used to be a Canon and a Pentax shooter, and I've shot all the nice L glass and the f/1.2s, and they can't compare to this Sonnar. We definitely think it is the fast transition between the focused and unfocused areas of the image. Leica summicrons and summiluxes have very similar effects.

There was this website that did an extensive review of something like 20+ lenses adapted to a Sony A7R. You could download a zip file containing all of the images. If I find the URL again, I will post it here, but I urge you to do some blind testing of your own. What we did, was we downloaded the photos, and just inspected them randomly for their bokeh. We always manage to pick out the Leica and the Sonnar images as the best with the most pop.

As for the flatter plane of focus, I think this is a distinct possibility, one that we have also thought about before. However, the Loxia 50mm Planar also has a very flat plane of focus yet it didn't offer as much POP as the sonnar. We think it has something to do with the combination of a flat field of focus + the bokeh + the micro-contrast. Take a look at that technical Leica article within our review. It is very informative.

Sure, we'll remember to do correct/un-corrected tests in the future. And you are right, I leave corrections "on" 100% of the time anyways. We used the uncorrected data this time to be fair to the Sigma because it isn't a native E-mount lens.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Bill_Danby20150419_camberwell_market_0001.

I'm a big fan of the Loxia 50mm. It's my usual "walking around" lens now.

Bill_Danby20150404_eumundi_0034.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 12
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    These are lovely bill.

6. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Zeiss magic. Look at the pop in the first photo!

7. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Great lens, but no magic. The 50mm has some pop, but that picture is about my seeing the light coming in through the plastic overhead, lighting the face against a dark background.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Now try it with a Canon lens

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    My camera bag isn't big enough for Canon gear.

• Like Like x 2
  10. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    hoping for more samples from this lens .....

11. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    • Like Like x 9
  12. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Bill_Danby20150517_GOMA_0008.

Self portrait. The black streak on the cheek is me.

• Like Like x 8
  14. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  15. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Building and Crane

Bill_Danby20150816_toowong_crane_0002.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Sunflowers
    Bill_Danby20150601_sunflowers_0002.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    The lamp post

Bill_Danby20150706_ANZAC_square_0001.

• Like Like x 4
  18. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Love the look of this lens!

19. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Street portrait in "Old Petrie Town" in Whiteside, Queensland Australia

Bill_Danby20151101_Old_Petrie_Town_0047.

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Beautiful portrait Bill. :2thumbs:

• Agree Agree x 2