1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Loxia 35mm f/2 vs. Sonnar 35mm f/2.8 Comparison

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by ilovehatephotography, Mar 3, 2015.

1. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Hi everyone. I rented the Zeiss Loxia 35mm f/2 and Sonnar 35mm f/2.8 this past weekend and took them out for a spin. I thought I'd share some photos here with this community. The in-depth review is here http://ilovehatephoto.com/2015/03/0...eiss-sonnar-35mm-f2-8-lens-review-comparison/

Space Shuttle Endeavor.
    Went to the California Science Center here in LA, where they housed the Space Shuttle Endeavour. It was quite a sight!

Space Shuttle Endeavor main thrusters.
    I was surprised to see all the piping and "mechanical-ness" of the main shuttle thrusters. It looked like a complex but still rudimentary engine to me. I somehow thought it would be like a warp drive lol.

Space Shuttle Endeavor front maneuvering thrusters.
    The front maneuvering thrusters were kind of surreal to see in person, since we've all seen movies like 2001 Space Odyssey or Star Wars. The Loxia's 10 blade rounded aperture also produced some nice sunstars from the halogen spotlights.

bDSC08431.
    There was a pretty sweet Lockheed A-12 Blackbird twin seat trainer at display in the front. It's the only Blackbird trainer ever built. The cockpit reminds me of a X-Wing fighter.

Hope you guys like the photos and the review!

• Like Like x 4
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Very interesting review on your web site, Ed. I don't want to give anything away, but I was pleased with your results. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Thanks David. That means a lot!

4. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Lovely review and you really showed a beautiful side to the Loxia - I prefer the way it rendered the portraits. The FE35 is bitingly sharp and I sometimes turn down clarity when using it, but if money was no object I'd pick up the loxia for it's rendering for portraits, but I think if I was going to spend that money I'd then have led myself onto the Zeiss 35mm ZA F1.4 (autofocus , weather sealing, clickable/clickless aperture ring for video and no doubt ridiculously sharp). So it's hard to know where Zeiss are positioning this. I'm not complaining though, now we have three lovely options - biogon, sonar and distagon.
    It's also interesting how much pop the biogon has at F3.2. I've used the voigtlander 35 1.2 at F3.2 and there is no way it has that level of pop. Must be the flat field of the Loxia like you mentioned.

Only crib I have with the review is why did you disable lens corrections though (it's a pet peeve of mine when reviewing lenses)?! Olympus does this, Fuji does this etc... the software distortion and vignetting corrections are as much a part of the design of modern lenses as the glass elements themselves. See Tim Ashleys review on FE35mm and 'bisto'. I'd love to see how the two compare with optical corrections enabled as I would typically shoot in the real world (typically only disabling vignetting correction when shooting portraits where I feel the vignette (and sometimes optical distortion) can actually help create a more aesthetically pleasing result. Just my 0.02. Overall great review though :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Thanks for the review. It was very informative. For a few hundred dollars more, one can get the new FE 35/1.4. That lens allegedly has character too. But it sure is honking big (by mirrorless standards).

• Like Like x 1
  6. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Thanks for all the great feedback. I truly believe the Loxia is for connoisseurs, whereas the Sonnar is the workhorse. To use an automotive analogy, the Loxia is like the last Italian supercar with the manual 6 speed transmission before everybody else moved onto DSG double-clutch automatic gearboxes. There is no reason to have a manual transmission (manual control), other than the physical enjoyment of the mechanics. I wish I could aptly describe how nice the aperture ring felt.

I am with you personally in regards the Zeiss 35m f/1.4. I've been waiting dearly for that lens and we'll test the lens as soon as it is available.

7. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Interesting feedback! I suppose this is a preference, because I am choosing to test the lens rather than the lens with digital corrections. That being said, I am certain Sony applies some digital correction to the RAW files itself that cannot be turned off. I'll keep that in mind and incorporate it to our future tests if we find there is a dramatic difference between it being turned on and off. Thanks!

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Lovely results, the Space program created some amazing products.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dornblaser

dornblaser New to TalkEmount

Jan 29, 2015
    Thanks for the review, I am considering the Loxia 35.

10. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    By the way, the blue-green flare mentioned in your review and shown in the shuttle images is an artifact of the A7 camera sensor, not either lens. That's why both lenses have this flare. The A7II fixed this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1