1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Low Light

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Jethro10, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Jethro10

Jethro10 TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2013
    I'm no expert, don't want to be. what I wanted was an easy to use camera that excels at low light pics.

Any camera (almost) gives good pics in the day, but concerts, museums and other places need more light.
    So I got a NEX 3N - love it.
    Work wanted some pics of the warehouse, it has no windows or natural light, just a few flourescent tubes.

I used a mini tripod and took some pics. Nothing special but it does show how good you can get with a real camera when light is at a premium compared to the ones someone tried to take with an Ixus Compact..

9181223851_aaabe3d6db_c.
    DSC00399 by Jethro-10, on Flickr

9183389786_ecfa2be410_c.
    DSC00405 by Jethro-10, on Flickr

Lost the EXIF data for some reason here, but others were approx f16 for 2 seconds at the 16mm end of the zoom.

Still happy!
    Jeff

2. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Those are excellent. The #1 reason I bought my Nex-5R was its low light handling. Much better than my best P&S.

Tony

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Nice work! But if low light shots are your goal, you may want to open your aperture a lot more to let in more light and get sharper results as well. f/16 is well into the len's diffraction zone, which will degrade the image slightly. But at 16mm, shooting right in that len's sweet spot at f/5.6, you could focus at the hyper focal distance of 7 ft., and have everything from ~3 ft. to infinity in focus. Plus, you'd get lower ISO and faster shutter speeds in the bargain. Such a deal! ;)