1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Low light with an MD 50 f/1.7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by NickCyprus, May 5, 2013.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    As many of you know, I've always been very impressed with the Minolta MD lenses. And I may sound like a broken record but I've always found the MD 50 f/1.7 an amazing lens. Sure, I like the convinience of my MD Zooms but everytime I put on the MD 50 I'm mightly impressed with its performance!!!

Easter here and here are some low light shots with it:

(MD 50mm f/1.7, shot wide open @ 1.7, NO FLASH!!!, ISO 3200, 1/100 shutter speed and +0,7EV - Post Processing done in Lightroom 3.6)

8711246382_b8feff2959_c.

8710123145_9700d8148e_c.

8711247388_17a0e46cb0_c.

8711245678_58bd4c84c8_c.

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Great atmosphere in these shots!

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Agreed

4. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks both

Exactly what I wanted to pass to the viewer :)
    The "resurrection" (Saturday midnight) is such a peaceful and spiritual event...

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It would be very hard to argue with your results. Very nice series. :)

6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Nicely done!

Just curious, did you find +0.7 EV to be appropriate for these scenes? (I usually have my camera parked on +0.3 or +0.7, except for when the scene is supposed to be dark.)

7. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Cheers

I really don't know. I usually have +0.3 set up as a default also but figured upping it to +0.7 would suit this dark scene...Do you think that's wrong?
    In the end I ended up setting it to -0.7 for some and -0.3 for others while in PP...

8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    just beautiful, I really like the last picture, the rokkor is very good in low light

9. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    May be I am doing something wrong, but both copies of MD 50/1.7 that I have appear soft wide open. Very noticeable compared to SEL50F1.8.

It does look much nicer stopped down a bit.

10. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    When you scale the image down similar to the shots above does it still look soft?

11. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Before I bought my MD 50 1.7, I've always read that too...but after receiving the lens and after 7 months of ownership/ extensive usage, I personally find that its brilliant EVEN shot wide open :)
    My MD 50 1.4 on the other hand is quite soft wide open, and excellent stopped down at f/2

Maybe its copy specific since these lenses are getting quite old now...

12. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    That last shot is beautiful Nick. It's very emotive.

Nice.

13. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    This is a typical photo from my 50/1.7 @1.7:

Compared to my 50/1.4 @1.4:

They are soft wide open but it's not dreadful and I like the way it looks.

14. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's my experience too, for the MD 50/1.7 as well as the 50/1.4 models: all are soft and "glowy" wide-open. The very best 50/1.4 is marginally useable wide-open, but not more than that, and I don't use it because my other 50mm lenses behave better when stopped down. Others are obviously happy with the 50/1.7 used wide-open, I guess that must be down to personal preferences.

15. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Honestly I haven't used it much yet. The shots I took look soft compared to Sony lens, but at least some of it is probably lack of contrast which is fixable in pp. I find that I have to use much stronger clarity values on all legacy lens shots, but the results are typically worth it.

16. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    I think at least some of the perceived softness is might be due to the very shallow DOF.

17. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    The DOF of Sony lens at 1.8 isn't going to be any different than Minolta at 1.7.

I agree with Ad - @ 1.7 it's soft and glowy. That glow however will not be noticeable when shooting darker scenes, like the flowers above.

Anyway, it has its own qualities, and I'd much rather take this lens to the beach than an expensive Sony.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

18. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I read my earlier post and decided to edit it. I think I woke up in a funny mood.

My reflection is, however, that if you don't like the way your Rokkor lenses renders an image, then maybe you shouldn't use them. I never use lenses I don't like, because it ruins the image for me. I keep thinking the image would have been much better with a different lens.

Also, there are people who absolutely adore their Minolta 50/1.7. There probably will be people in the future who love them too. Because we can't reproduce the image quality of legacy lenses today, owners of old lenses should see themselves as custodians for the future. We should pass on the legacy lenses in the same condition that we got them (or better).

Therefore, I do get a bit worried when you imply that you aren't too keen on the 50/1.7 but it will come in handy in potentially ruinous environments such as the beach.

If you want to take a disposable lens to the beach, the you should probably take a new one, that is still manufactured and can be replaced.

Really, a lot of people have a lot of love for the Rokkors and if it's not your thing, then don't do it.

19. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks, we all have those from time to time ;)

We all pride about how TalkNex is a very friendly forum and it would be great if we all keep it polite and avoid insulting language ;)

20. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I never said the lens was " disposable". However, I'd rather risk a cheap lens with no sensitive electronics inside, than a $250 lens with AF and OSS which are much more prone to the damage from sand and accidental splashing. I wouldn't take just any lens with me, either - I rather risk a good one than use a bad one.