1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Low contrast processing - legacy lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by DigitalD, Dec 28, 2014.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Trying out a new processing approach to low contrast photos and wanted to see what it might look like with older lenses. C&C welcome :)

302b847db098434cbcb4c369e3025563.

672f9b48c411c7112e60a7e7f0345153.

f9c0e20da928468eea8cb9fc1fa741ed.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    I like the colouring, its got a feel of 1970's prints quite a beautiful aesthetic how did you do it if you don't mind me asking.

3. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    I quite like the vintage look, especially #2!

(IMO it feels like #3 could perhaps have the exposure and/or the highlights turned down a notch and still preserve the look you are going for. In #1 the sky is too bright and I would probably crop off a bit off the top so that there isn't quite the expanse of brightness above the girl's head...but neither of these comments really have anything to do with "the look" which is sweet).

• Like Like x 1
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Yup, very vintage. :)

Great science project as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I like this look; very nostalgic. They give the shots a casual look, which can be appealing versus that very pro look which can sometimes look to planned and sterile. Even the blown highlights/high key works well. Obviously, this isn't for all type of shots, but when used correctly, it certainly can add interest. The shots of kids playing outside the house are perfect.
    I don't have any legacy lenses, but I have been thinking about purchasing DXO filmpack 5 for this look. I know I can use LR to achieve the look , but I don't really want to add to PP time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Mostly in LR, taking down contrast and highlights, desaturated and also desaturated the reds independently in HSL and a little bump in the shadows to make them grey instead of black. I've tried it with split toning before be its more finicky that way.

I think you are right. That shot was done in JPG so I lost the highlights. Next time I need to watch out not to blow out the highlights. I also hardly crop my photos or if so, just a bit to clean up anything along the edge that is distracting but I thought about cropping #1 more to remove some of the sky. I always wrestle with when and how much.

Thanks Dave! My son's nickname at school is the scientist. He can't get enough of it. hehe

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Love the look!
    #2 works best for me ;)

Also, thanks for sharing your PP tips ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I like it and have also been playing around with the contrast slider in LR. I find that I'm almost always "turning down the red" in all my shots.

These shots are very pleasing to the eye, especially the first one. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1