Loving the Zeiss 24mm!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lowincash, Jan 23, 2012.

1. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    I must admit, this lens is quite expensive and I had been thinking of returning it. However, whenever I use this lens I fall in love with this lens every time. Love the sharpness and the colors it produces. I think I am going to keep it after all lol

Here's a few more shots taken with the NEX-7

2. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    the colors are beautiful ,would be ideal for my nex5n nice shot's

3. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Its a keeper buddy

4. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Yup definitely a keeper. I also have the Tamron 18-200mm lens but haven't used it much, the 24mm stays on the camera majority of the time haha I just purchased a Minolta 50mm f2 lens from ebay and I'll be testing it out when I get it :D

5. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Sounds good, post some pics when you can ;)

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    nice

Not my favorite range, but you got some nice ones.

7. jfazer

jfazer TalkEmount Regular

Dec 1, 2011
    Spain
    Wow... great sharpness and color as you say!

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Thanks for your pics! The color rendering looks great! And even the sharpness seems good (hard to tell appropriate at this image size). The more I read about this lens, the more I'm convinced I made the right decision ordering it.

9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Just unboxed my Zeiss lens. It already feels like a very expensive lens. It's better crafted than the cheaper NEX lenses (although I can't really say it's another material - it just feels more premium due to it's matte finish) and the leather case is nice. As for sharpness, I just was able to take a quick relatively low light portrait and compared it with the 16mm lens. The Zeiss one shows much more detail! But that's hardly scientific.

As the weather today is absolutely boring, I'll wait at least till tomorrow to give it a shootout. Of course I'll post some pics here.

10. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin

congrats on the lens :D definitely a very high quality lens, both image and built wise.

11. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I've been saving some money and in my plans is to buy the 24mm f/1.8 Carl Zeiss, 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Zoom Zoom,55-210mm Telephoto f/1.8 or 50mm.

I thinking a good zoom lens, I'm thinking between the 18-200 or 55-210 you advise me?

12. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin

Hmm what color is your 5n? I bought the Tamron 18-200mm lens in black to go with the 7. The silver 55-210 lens will look out of place on a black body IMO, that's why I didn't get the Sony version of the 18-200 lens. Also, do you already have the 18-55 kit lens? If you have kit lens then you don't really need the 18-200 (thought it's more convenient as an all in one lens) and just get the 55-210 lens.

For me the Zeiss 24mm is my go everywhere lens from day to night and the 18-200mm is my day at the park kind of lens. I only have these two lenses at the moment plus the Minolta 58mm 1.4 but that's a lens to play around with MF.

13. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Hi thanks, I have the nex5n silver, and I have the 18-55mm, 16mm and Rokkor, Minolta 50mm 1.7,

14. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Fantastic colour and sharpness!

I agree, a 24mm is a really good focal length for the NEX.

15. ac611

ac611 New to TalkEmount

Feb 1, 2012
    Zeiss 24mm good or bad

While I agree that that 24mm is an excellent focal lenth for the Nex, I sort of think that the zeiss 24mm 1.8 does not seem to live up to its excellent quality claimed by many experts; I am not saying I am better than them but a side by side comparison with the kit zoom only shows that itbis marginally better in many instances. As a result, I have decided not to keep it. I am now thinking of getting the 50mm 1.8 but f course this is a very different focal length. Cheers!

16. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    have fun with that excellent lens....

17. ac611

ac611 New to TalkEmount

Feb 1, 2012
    Sir, do you mean that 50mm 1.8 sel is an excellent lens? If yes, could You share your experience with this lens please?

18. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    I am waiting for the 50mm 1.8 and will most likely get it too. I already have a few MF lenses around that focal length but would like AF and OSS. From reviews it's a pretty good lens.

As for the 24mm 1.8, I find it a very good match for the 7. I don't have the kit lens so I didn't get to compare the both. However, you'll be able to use the 24mm at night with better results than the kit lens. I only wished it wasn't that expensive lol

19. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    lens envy....... ;-)