Love the mailman !, just delivered my Zeiss 85mm f/1.2 !

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by NullMind, Jan 19, 2015.

1. NullMind

NullMind TalkEmount Regular

Jan 17, 2015
    I was arriving at work when I got the email that UPS had just delivered my new (old) lens .. at home !

As you can imagine I was anxious all day to get back home so I could play with my new toy

And here is it, the Zeiss 85mm f/1,2 50 years edition, in great condition :)

16317537861_74d14ba889_b. Zeiss 85mm f/1.2 "50 Year" by Carlos 'NullMind' Rego, on Flickr

There is some serious glass on this thing !

16133136489_475c51f40f_b. Zeiss 85mm f/1.2 "50 Year" by Carlos 'NullMind' Rego, on Flickr

I will now do some tests against my 85L II, the lens I put for sale in order to grab this one, but here is a quick handheld shot on the A7R, nothing fancy and just handheld, but I wanted to check the bokeh .. I am not disappointed :)

16317540831_2791500887_b. Test with Zeiss 85 1.2 by Carlos 'NullMind' Rego, on Flickr

And last, her is a picture of it on the A7R .. goes not look out of place at all ...

16318414622_f62a82bb58_b. Zeiss 85 1.2 by Carlos 'NullMind' Rego, on Flickr

More pictures and further testing coming soon :)

• Like Like x 14
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Sweet! Let's see some images from her! :popcorm2:

3. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Wow! That's a beaut.

If it isn't too rude to ask...what was the price tag for that gorgeous piece of glass?

• Like Like x 1
  4. NullMind

Jan 17, 2015
    I see it going between 4500-6500 USD, depending on the condition, I was able to steal this one for ..,, £1500 ... In mint condition :)

Found it in Italy :)

• Like Like x 5
  5. MAubrey

That's a superb price--especially for mint condition!

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to spend that much on a lens, but I might have to live vicariously through your photos for a little bit at least. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. NullMind

Jan 17, 2015
    Unfortunately the C/Y to NEX adaptor i got for it is not up to par, while it has a nice tight fit, the locking of the C/Y mount is not good, the lens comes out with no need to press the release button.

I noticed it while focusing, if I hit the end of the focus range and push over just a little, the lens comes loose ..

You can see it on this video I made how it unlocks, the tension on the locking pin is not enough to keep it in place

https://vimeo.com/117262675

So I ordered a new one, but this time I got a C/Y to M mount adaptor, I intend to use my Voigtlander VM-E Close focus adaptor so it goes C/Y -> M -> NEX ... in theory should work :) .. plus I love the Voigtlander adapter

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    That's a scary thing, such an expensive lens on an adapter that lets it just fall off :eek_old:.

8. NullMind

Jan 17, 2015
    Indeed, I am holding to the lens when I walk around, it's a bad feeling not to be secured

The fotodiox cy to M arrives tomorrow, hoping that will be better, then I can use it with the voigtlander to mount it to the A7R ... I'll post details in the next few days

• Like Like x 1
  9. MAubrey

I had a similar problem with a Konica adapter. It worked fine for a small lens like the 50mm f/1.7, but the 200mm f/3.5 was too large & heavy. Of course, those were both $35 lenses...

10. NullMind

Jan 17, 2015
    Just a quick update

I bought a Fotodiox C to M adapter, I use it on the lens and then use the Voigtlander VM-E close focus adapter to mount it to the A7R

It's solid as a rock that way, and gives me the added benefit of being able to do close focus with the VM-E

I will post a picture of this combo later today.

• Like Like x 3